FORUMS: list search recent posts

admin: Changing the forum name, etc. Whatcha think???

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Lindeboom
admin: Changing the forum name, etc. Whatcha think???
on Jan 16, 2007 at 6:03:56 pm

Hi All,

I've been thinking this morning that the old Discreet Edit* community and this one would make for a great combined forum. Why? Very little of what gets discussed in the Discreet Edit* forum has anything to do with it. They discuss things that are the purview of the Art of the Edit forum -- things like the nature of editing and the craft of production.

They have been together for a decade and represent some very brilliant editors and some of the programs that they work on air on major networks, etc. Most have moved on to other systems and no longer use Edit*. Still, they love talking between themselves about the kinds of issues and subjects that are well within the scope of this forum.

We can keep most all the teams from both forums and can thereby create a 60s supergroup, sorta like Cream, Blind Faith or something. ;o)

We were thinking that this way, we create a single much more active forum that would be easier to feature and promote in the magazine, in the newsletters, etc.

What do you guys think??? If neither group likes the idea, we'll just shelve it and kill these threads. But it was worth asking the question, I think.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

debe
Re: admin: Changing the forum name, etc. Whatcha think???
by
on Jan 17, 2007 at 1:35:30 am

I don't have any issues with this.

The more the merrier, I always say! (unless it's date night, of course!)

debe

Return to posts index

grinner
on Jan 17, 2007 at 3:21:55 am

ditto
I think it'd increase discussion.

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
on Jan 17, 2007 at 2:02:52 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "and can thereby create a 60s supergroup, sorta like Cream, Blind Faith or something."

I'm thinking more Uriah heep. They had what... seventeen drummers? Heck, the Best Of album had a bar graph on it just to explain 'em all!

Seriously though - it sounds like very good idea. Any injection of fine wisedom is always welcome.

Although I wouldn't recommend changing the "Art of" name. It probably keeps a lot of the chatter out concerning file formats and software upgrades.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Jan 17, 2007 at 2:08:33 pm

I agree with the decission, I think that it would be bring more discussion to the forum.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 17, 2007 at 4:20:36 pm

Well I like the Art Of The Edit moniker, but I still work with a Discreet Edit*6 most every day, when not on FCP or linear, so I'm torn:-)

Basically what you're asking is to shut down the Edit* forum as it's own entity. For selfish reasons I like the ability to go to a specific platform-oriented area with a specific platform-oriented question when I'm in dire need and on deadline. Just like if I was stumped by an Avid problem, I'd want to go first to the Avid group to get the fastest, most direct answer. Same for FCP questions. I'd go to an FCP named forum first.

I'm sure I could ask an FCP or Edit or more obscure system question in this forum and get answers, but probably not as complete or as fast, and I'd probably get a couple side suggestions or comments that were less on-topic.

So for that kind of selfish reason, I'd say let the Edit*ors stay as they are, as long as they feel willing to hang there and be available. God knows they are more help to me than Autodiscreet is!
:-P

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jan 17, 2007 at 5:07:47 pm

If there is a shortage of posts in Discreet, then it is probably a good idea to do something. I have noticed there are times when Art tends to really slow down and there is nothing there. I would rather see a combining of forums than a drop of a forum. I have probably been guilty of not posting enough lately, but there are times when I am just too dang busy to hand out. Sorry about that, but busy is good.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 17, 2007 at 11:53:28 pm

It seems fine to me. If it helps all around, it seems pretty straightforward.

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Doug
by
on Jan 17, 2007 at 6:21:08 pm

How about " The Art (and craft) of the Edit* " ;)

Doug

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
on Jan 17, 2007 at 9:35:20 pm

I came to the cow a few years ago with some simple tech Q's, and the Art forum has been one of the bonuses that keep me coming back.

Here's what I love about the "Art" forum:
- Editors alone have a table to chat bigger picture stuff. This is regardless of platform or system.
- I ask real artistic questions, and get real artistic answers from people who appreciate the art form.
- Editors with knowledge of only Avids or FCP systems tend to steer down the same paths and it's often refreshing to hear opinions from Premiere, Discreet, even Steenbeck folks.

Here's what I would wish for:
- Separate but equally respected "Art" forums for camera and for audio professionals. I would just love to hear the same level of chatter from those on the non-editorial side of the pasture.

Shoot, sorry if I took it too far OT... In a nutshell: call the forum whatever you wish, but the workflow insights, vents and rants, insider shortcuts, and so on are all part of the "Art" we churn out every day. It feels good a few minutes per week to romp the meadow with other cows. I just hope the Discreet folks don't lose out on tech help.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Feb 11, 2007 at 3:11:21 am

IMHO we have to keep the ART in it... Art of the Edit is absolutely my favorite forum. My concern (voiced by some others I think) is that we don't want to shortchange the Discreet Edit guys in terms of having a place for nitty gritty technique and functionality discussions; and I am hesitant to have the wonderfully broad AOTE forum suddenly be... Whats the good word ? De-Focussed by bringing specific app issues into the picture. Part of what makes it great in this particular pasture is that we disregard specific app issues entirely (most of the time) and focus on the art, the philosophy, the power of image, etc...

Just my .02 Ron. You're the big bull round the yard. so I'll go with your lead... But I think AOTE is something special here. SO I worry about rattling it up.

Best,

Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]