FORUMS: list search recent posts

Year Enders - where are they?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Year Enders - where are they?
on Dec 31, 2006 at 4:01:42 pm

As a news junkie I look forward to the major US networks "year enders" --compilations of the year's major events, distilled into a tightly edited 3 to 5 minute piece. Used to be that the last broadcast of the year ALWAYS included a year ender piece. So for 2006 where are they???

The NBC Nightly News didn't have one. The CBS Evening News didn't have one. I stopped watching Today Show years ago, so no way to know if they had one. Don't watch ABC much either, CBS Sunday Morning did their version -- an obituary of who's passed away this year. But so far haven't seen a year ender for 2006. Time isn't up for 2006, it's 11am Sunday 12/31 as I post this. maybe there will be a year ender on one or more of the Sunday evening news shows.

So what's up? Have budgets finally been cut to the point where major news organizations can't free up a producer and editor to pull together what had been a staple of the news business? Has it come to this?

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
Re: Year Enders - where are they?
on Dec 31, 2006 at 5:18:30 pm

I noticed it too. Maybe the Saddam and Gerald Ford news stories having been taking the air time in which the packages would normally run? Usually the week between Christmas and New Year's Day is really slow "news-wise".

Or could be a combination of smaller budgets (and smaller teams having to do the work?)

Return to posts index

BKM
Re: Year Enders - where are they?
by
on Jan 8, 2007 at 5:55:24 pm

I think they are a little "tired" and old fashioned, and when thigs are busy or there is a lack of recources, this would be the first project to go. I admit I do love to see the montages, but it's hard to justify burning 3 mins of air time on a retrospective. They ususally end up being long promos.

BKM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]