FORUMS: list search recent posts

What production monitor do you use for HD?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FischTale
What production monitor do you use for HD?
on Oct 6, 2006 at 5:01:01 pm

I hope this isn't too off topic for this forum, but I wasn't sure exactly where it fit. I'm putting together a new editing system and I need a new production monitor. Since I do some color correction, I think CRT is the best choice for an accurate picture. I'm going to be doing a lot more 16:9 HD with this system so I obviously want a monitor with that can display that. The JVC DT-V1710CG with the IF-C01COMG Component/RGB card was recommended to me. That monitor seems nice, and it's auto sensing which is good since I still do SD 4:3 stuff too. My only problem is that the monitor is a 4:3 box.

My first problem with that is that it's a 17" monitor, so the letterboxed 16:9 will be a bit on the small side. I'm used to cutting SD on my current monitor which has a 20" 4:3 monitor.

My second problem is spending over $2K on a 4:3 monitor when 4:3 will eventually be phased out. Granted, that won't be too soon, but it seems smarter for the long run to buy a native 16:9 monitor.

What are your thoughts? What are you using? Keep in mind, this monitor is only for me at the editing desk. The clients have their own monitor.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What production monitor do you use for HD?
on Oct 7, 2006 at 5:42:09 am

I am using a Sony PVM-14L5 Multiformat monitor with HD SDI input card (optional). Total of $3100. BUT...they no longer sell them new.

4:3 and 16:9. HD and SD. Great monitor.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
Re: What production monitor do you use for HD?
on Oct 11, 2006 at 1:44:54 pm

Avoid Frontniche and Vutrix at ALL COSTS!

Also, make sure if you go the Plasma or LCD route that it de-embeds the audio through the HDSDI. We didn't check that, and all our audio is 2-frames off unless we feed it through the monitor separately via analog RCA cables! (?>!!@>$#@$@!)

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]