FORUMS: list search recent posts

pacing---big screen vs. small screen

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
pacing---big screen vs. small screen
on Oct 4, 2006 at 9:00:28 pm

Had an interesting experience this past weekend. Saw the first things I've edited up on the big screen. I immediately noticed that what seemed like good pacing on a 14 inch video monitor seemed way to fast on the big screen. I'm theroizing that it is because there is a hell of a lot more space for your eyes to cover on the big screen and shots need to be held longer than on TV. Is this just me or has anyone else had this experience? If so how would one edit if the final distribution is both TV and theatrical?

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: pacing---big screen vs. small screen
on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:42:26 pm

Walter Murch agrees with you. In one of his books he even talks about making a fake miniature theater with seat rows and all, in front of a monitor, to give him a sense of scale. It is true that due to parrellax, your brain percieves the same motion on a small versus large screen as a change in velocity. A variation on this is why water wave scenes and other model effects have to be shot overcranked to give the right sense of time and scale.

Return to posts index

epontius
Re: pacing---big screen vs. small screen
on Oct 5, 2006 at 11:34:38 pm

If you watch some of Murch stuff on "The Cutting Edge" DVD (and perhaps the Cold Mountain disc) you can see Murch's FCP setup while he was editing "Cold Mountain". His little cut out people are in a couple of shots.
He explains why in his "Blink of an Eye" book.

Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]