FORUMS: list search recent posts

Started with this in the HD forum...suite lighting

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kolb
Started with this in the HD forum...suite lighting
on Oct 2, 2006 at 12:55:44 am

Hi all,

I probably should have posted this question here first...

I recently moved to a new edit suite and have been working toward the most neutral color environment possible.

The walls are medium gray and I'm waiting for the construction to finish on two 4'x8' panels to drop in from the 13' ceiling to help baffle the room after we did put up rounded panels to knock out some of the straight planes, etc, etc, etc...

I want to put lights above the panels to indirectly light the room off the ceiling. I've been looking around for some 5600K light sources and I'm guessing I'll need to look toward some specialty fixtures...or buy some Kinos to throw up there...

Anybody have any hot tips on any sunlight color temp fixtures they've found? Being able to dim them with minimal color shift would also be cool, but I could also add multiple switchable circuits for different light levels I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

grinner
Re: Started with this in the HD forum...suite lighting
on Oct 2, 2006 at 10:54:01 pm

The kino idea is cool. I've had great results with halogen track lighting on dimmers. It does change the color temp but I keep it pretty dim and never change it. I just throw on the florescents when I need to play engineer.
I'm a fan of lamps. They keep things softly lit and can add personality to an otherwise grey room.
I am planning on closing my studio in February and will have a boatload of hip furniture and lighting FS if interested.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Oct 3, 2006 at 2:30:45 am

Closing?

What's up with that Grin?

(I've got lamps for the client comfy leather chair area behind me...I need color neutral light (sunlight 5600 was what I was originally aiming for...) to keep my battleship gray walls gray so the color correction gods find favour with me...

:-)

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

grinner
on Oct 3, 2006 at 1:38:28 pm

ahhhh
Well, dream chasing is expensive stuff, my friend and that's what I have been doing for the last year. I'm too close to selling a national show to stop now and have run off all my clientele in doing so. Thats the drag about being a one man band... nobody to run the shop while you try to climb to places never explored before. I'ma climb and explore anyway. If I havn't sold my show by Fevruary when my lease is up, I will close the studio (now just a huge expense) and bring my Avid home. I'll freelance in other suites by day and dream chase by night. I hope to have the show sold in a month or two and I won't have to do all of this.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Oct 9, 2006 at 4:22:02 pm

Dream chasing...

I've found that my dreams have evolved over time.

I used to dream about doing higher and higher profile projects...now I dream about doing projects profitable enough to fund a couple of college educations, and maybe even some sort of subsistence retirement...

Weird how that happens...

Best of luck my friend.

Return to posts index

grinner
on Oct 21, 2006 at 2:47:20 pm

thank you, sir.
I have to change things up every few years or so. When I get bored, I start to wither. Chasing keeps me vibrant. Worth the ulcer to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]