COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pixel Monkey
The best analogies for Mac vs. Win
on Sep 21, 2006 at 1:53:33 pm

Biggest questions I think we've all been getting for years:
Mac vs Windows? or FCP vs Avid?

I've never cared either way, so for years my responses have been:
1.) "Build a house with either a nailgun or a hammer. As long as it holds together, the people living in it just don't care."
2.) "Just because you can buy Monet's brush on eBay doesn't mean you should cut art classes from the school budget. Worry about the craftsman, not the toolbelt."

I just heard a great new one:
"I don't care if your new $100 coffee maker can burn Blue-Ray. If you keep using that Folgers crap, what was the point?"

Any others?

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The best analogies for Mac vs. Win
on Sep 21, 2006 at 3:23:05 pm

I sometimes say "an artist is not his tools".

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Sep 21, 2006 at 3:55:52 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I sometimes say "an artist is not his tools"."

This is totally true, but if your brush is made from grain sorghum stalks, and your canvas actually cow hide still connected to the cow. It becomes very difficult to finish your creation effectivly.

Charlie

Return to posts index

person
on Sep 21, 2006 at 10:20:39 pm

mac is gooder than the other

Return to posts index

Arson XL
on Sep 24, 2006 at 6:14:56 am

mac is popular with people who think gooder is a word

The mac is a computing appliance with wonderful industrial design that allows people afraid of computers to overpay for one and at the same time be protected from the scary things.

Return to posts index

person
on Sep 24, 2006 at 3:15:55 pm

mac feels like a modern swiss watch. pc feels like a 1980's era timex.

Return to posts index

promoboy
on Sep 24, 2006 at 9:59:50 pm

And the beauty is that both do the exact same thing--tell the time.

Mike.

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
on Sep 26, 2006 at 4:54:46 pm

[person] "mac feels like a modern swiss watch. pc feels like a 1980's era timex"

Heh - a 1980's era Timex - I had a few of those. Had a few Casio potatoes on my wrist too. Never owned a swiss watch though. Never needed to. At any given minute, there's about a dozen clocks/watches/desktops/laptops/cells/Palms/Pocket PCs/Blackberries/PSPs/pens with LCD clocks/and microwave ovens in my field of view.

I really do think Avid & FCP; Windows & Mac all work equally great. Never watched a movie and said "That was obviously done on a G4".

Guess I'm just an edit-slut with no loyalties. I'll go to bed with any system that fills my immediate needs. Actually, I use many edit systems as a means of supplying my clients. Does that make me an edit-pimp?

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 26, 2006 at 12:27:45 pm

[Arson XL] "mac is popular with people who think gooder is a word"

LOL!

I believe the Mac argument has an edge in the virus department because those who write viruses like to have some effect on the world.

:-)

I think the funniest thing in the world is that the integration of the Intel processors have pretty much revealed that the "Megahertz Myth" was actually the truth...which we found out when we switched from Mac 6 years ago.

If/when there is an advantage to switching back...I'll switch.

However...the price reductions have made the new Macs cheaper PCs than Dell. I suspect the Mac will start to sell into areas it may not have in the past.

So Charlie...which computer is metaphorically "still attached to the cow"?

LOL!

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Chaz Shukat
on Sep 27, 2006 at 1:51:15 am

Macs start up slower and shut down faster. PCs start up faster and shut down slower. But it seems to me that whatever you want to do, it takes at least one additional keystroke to do it on a PC. Mac is inovative and PCs copy what Mac develops. It's the tail waggin' the dog. Mac is a "creative" and PC is a "suit".

Chaz S.

Return to posts index

person
on Sep 27, 2006 at 4:10:29 am

that's nice. and true.

Return to posts index

Doug
by
on Sep 27, 2006 at 3:37:11 pm

Lol....you've been watching the commercials!!!

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Sep 27, 2006 at 3:51:45 pm

[Chaz Shukat] " Mac is inovative and PCs copy what Mac develops"
And I presume that is why MAC's finally added a right click? Is that also why MAC's are switching to Intel? Is that also why MAC's have office programs designed for PC's were always having to be developed seperately for MAC's? Oh and also the virus thing, funny that there never was a reason for creating a virus for a MAC.
And as to the cowhide, well, never really meant for that to be metaphorically to immulate a MAC, or PC, but I have to admit, my MAC has one editing program, my PC currently has two editing programs plus all my compositing, 3D and Graphics programs. Guess which one I use the most?

Charlie

Return to posts index

Chaz Shukat
on Sep 28, 2006 at 2:26:40 am

[Charlie King] "And I presume that is why MAC's finally added a right click? Is that also why MAC's are switching to Intel? Is that also why MAC's have office programs designed for PC's were always having to be developed seperately for MAC's? Oh and also the virus thing, funny that there never was a reason for creating a virus for a MAC."

Pifff! Small potatos next to MS Windows being a complete rip off of Macs OS. The one clic mouse was part of Macs simplcity, they didn't copy other mouses. Switching to Intel chips is not copying, it's switching. They didn't design a chip that copies what Intels do and give it another name. Macs looks so much cooler than the PC "suits". Who was the first to come out with a PC that wasn't beige, was in a tiny unit the size of a candy tin, or was all in one unit, etc? Pah-leeze! And PCs still require additional keystrokes either way. And since when is not having viruses a disadvantage?

Chaz S.

Return to posts index

DBFilms
on Sep 28, 2006 at 6:48:58 am

Hooboy - I smell a flamewar!

Chaz, in answer to your questions:

[Chaz Shukat]Pifff! Small potatos next to MS Windows being a complete rip off of Macs OS.

So Xerox had nothing to do with the initial development of the GUI on computers...? :D

[Chaz Shukat]The one clic mouse was part of Macs simplcity, they didn't copy other mouses.

See above: Xerox made the first mouse I believe...

[Chaz Shukat]Who was the first to come out with a PC that wasn't beige, was in a tiny unit the size of a candy tin, or was all in one unit, etc? Pah-leeze!

Quite a few other computer manufacturers actually. See http://www.old-computers.com/museum and search for Olympia Boss for a black, all-in one, computer that beat out the introduction of the Mac by 4 years, or Commodore PET 2001 for an all-in one that beat out the Mac by 7 years. Incidentally, the original Macs were beige... (I bought one when they came out in '84)

[Chaz Shukat]And PCs still require additional keystrokes either way.

I think this is just a matter of the program you happen to be using and their integration with the OS. Photoshop uses the same number of keystrokes for commands irregardless of Mac v. Win platform. A tightly written program can reduce the number of keystrokes required irregardless of the platform, so I don't see this as being particularly endemic to one platform or the other.

[Chaz Shukat]And since when is not having viruses a disadvantage?

If you maintain proper editing system isolation, then virii are a non-issue on Wintel machines as well.

Just for the record, I don't care one way or the other for the Mac v. Win debate - I've used both in the past and I look for the tool that best performs the functions which I require. For me, that is currently a couple of Wintel boxes. YMMV, and that's cool with me.

Cheers,

Rich Fanning
Drawing Board Films

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Sep 28, 2006 at 8:32:01 pm

[DBFilms] "Just for the record, I don't care one way or the other for the Mac v. Win debate - I've used both in the past and I look for the tool that best performs the functions which I require. For me, that is currently a couple of Wintel boxes. YMMV, and that's cool with me."

Ditto

Charlie

Return to posts index

FischTale
on Sep 28, 2006 at 11:02:47 pm

[Chaz Shukat] "Macs looks so much cooler than the PC "suits"."

If how "cool" a computer looks has anything to do with your decision to pick a computer, you should probably re-evaluate your priorities.

I can edit on both Macs and PCs...in fact, I can edit with a razor blade and Scotch tape if I have to!

This thread started off pretty funny, but now it's turning into the same old flame about which is better. I suggest steering clear of any editor who talks more about their equipment than about their editing abilities.

Return to posts index

Chaz Shukat
on Sep 29, 2006 at 2:58:59 am

[FischTale] "I suggest steering clear of any editor who talks more about their equipment than about their editing abilities."

Ditto that, it's not about the gear.
Ditto I don't care.
Ditto I've cut on both.
I was brought up on Mac, now own and work on PC, but prefer Macs.
Just expressing my OPINION. I think that's allowed on this forum and that's what this thread was about.
I'm not a computer expert like some of you know-it-alls out there (thanks for the technical history lesson) who just have to be right. ;-)
I'm not flaming, I'm outta here!

Peace out!

Chaz S.

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Sep 29, 2006 at 3:21:33 pm

I am sorry to have to disagree with the majority of your comments so far, but that's the way it goes.

It all comes down to the applications that do what you need done.

I used a Mac for a few years. Then I found an application back in 1988 that I needed, and it only ran on a PC. So I bought a PC and ran just that app on it. I still used the Mac for everything else. Slowly, over the years, the apps on the PC did more and more of what I needed. So I slowly moved over and one day I realized I was no longer using my Mac. I was doing a lot of programming and the PC had all the best programming suites.

When I started editing video, I did some research and found that the Mac was a better choice. OK, but not so much better that it was time to switch since at that time I could not afford a new computer just for editing. Yet it was obviously better.

Well, now it is time to buy a new computer again. I could easily buy a Mac. I have the money. However, it turns out that I really like the integration of the Adobe Production Studio and I would be happier buying a new PC. I have to assume that both platforms will continue to get better editing and graphics applications. But since After Effects and Premiere Pro work better together than After Effects and FCP, it is a slam dunk for me. For now.

On the other hand, I doubt it is so much better that a Mac user should switch.

So, pick your apps and buy the computer that runs them. And if you are a serious pro, it may mean buying both.

Just my two cents.

It all comes down to the applications you use. There are advantages to both systems and it is a tough decision to make.

Steven
http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

JNeo25
on Sep 29, 2006 at 8:26:22 pm

I used to hate macs. My analogy was that Macs think like women, and PC's think like men. When you have a problem on a Mac, it's really really end-of-the-world bad. When you have a problem with a PC, control/alt/delete, restart, done. Then I bought a digibeta deck and started looking at options to make it work with my PC. Disappointment. Slowly but surely, I began to question whether a Symphony was worth the money. It would only work on certain PC's that ran on Windows 2000, it was complicated, confusing, and buying an Avid meant buying an engineer keep it running. Finally, a coworker confided he had been working on FCP for years for our mutual client, and nobody was the wiser. That was the nudge I needed.

Since last July, I'm a Mac convert. I love this thing so much. It kicks both my pc's butts. Does my Mac still think like a woman? Yes. But a GOOD woman that wears an apron, and nothing else, whilst cooking up awesome dinners every night. Does my PC still think like a guy? Yes, but instead of James Bond, he's Larry, the plumber who is too fat to get to the pipes in the kitchen that broke and has that exposed buttcrack issue.

I'll still keep a PC around, mostly because it runs FrontPage, which I need to do quick webpages. My hot mama is my Mac. She's got the hottest set of RAID's you've ever seen. Hubba hubba.

Return to posts index

person
on Sep 29, 2006 at 11:49:50 pm

macs are gooder

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Oct 2, 2006 at 1:03:15 am

[JNeo25] "Does my Mac still think like a woman? Yes. But a GOOD woman that wears an apron, and nothing else, whilst cooking up awesome dinners every night. Does my PC still think like a guy? Yes, but instead of James Bond, he's Larry, the plumber who is too fat to get to the pipes in the kitchen that broke and has that exposed buttcrack issue.

I'll still keep a PC around, mostly because it runs FrontPage, which I need to do quick webpages. My hot mama is my Mac. She's got the hottest set of RAID's you've ever seen. Hubba hubba."

LOL! That is the funniest thing I've ever heard! JNeo25 wins...

(I'm a PC user at the moment after deserting Mac...but Apple should buy this scenario for their two guys spots)

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

WAKA Creative
on Oct 6, 2006 at 10:11:19 pm

"...I could easily buy a Mac. I have the money. However, it turns out that I really like the integration of the Adobe Production Studio..."

Have to ditto that. Before Premiere Pro, the "Gooder-ness" of FCP on the MAC was undeniable. But since upgrading from Premiere to Premiere Pro 1.5 and then 2.0 as part of the Adobe Production Studio Premium bundle ... I find it's now more Gooder-neutral.

Recently, I had a chance to do a little side work on a MAC with the Final Cut Studio bundle. I liked it a lot. But it didn't out-gooder the Premiere Pro/Production Studio system I normally work on. Adobe's integrated app approach is a definate advantage, but it seemed like Apple was doing the same thing with it's Studio Apps. So they were pretty much head to head in my eye, though each had things that it did Gooder than the other.

And frankly, that may be not-so-gooder for FCP and Macs in Video and Creative work. I think that as more people discover that Premiere Pro matches up to Final Cut, they'll feel less pressure to gooderize themselves with Macs just to get a solid, non-Avid editing system.

But either way, it's just silicon. As so many have already said, it's the work, not the tools, that counts.

By the way... I haven't work a suit in almost ten years.

WAKA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]