FORUMS: list search recent posts

Volume Two!

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner
Volume Two!
on Sep 14, 2006 at 3:59:51 pm

I will be releasing Moddin' Art Volume Two in Sacramento in one month. To help get me there and back, I am offering Volume Two to those who would like to pre order now. You will not recieve Volume Two until Oct14th or after but will be in on the first batch of DVDs.

http://ModdinArt.com/Vol2.html

This one doesn't compare to Volume One at all. It's a whole different level and I am very proud of how it's turning out. Volume Three is now in production...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Volume Two!
on Sep 14, 2006 at 6:05:02 pm

Congrats!

So, how has being your own client been working out for you? I remember when you announced you were done working as other people's editor and going into self-produced programming, it was with quite a bit of trepidation and uncertainty. Has it been a year yet? Re you mixing the two types of work still, or are you fully committed to this new course now? Any observations you'd care to share, about what was easier and what was harder than expected about the transition? If I'm not getting too personal, I mean:-) They say the self-employed always get paid less, true? Do the freedom and creative expression make up for that enough, do you think? Or is it just the same hamster wheel, turning in a different direction?

Return to posts index

grinner
on Sep 16, 2006 at 7:39:46 pm

I am 36 and have yet to ever meet anyone truleu self-employed. While I have been on my own for close to 4 years now, my clients are the boss. When I aint workin, my wife is the boss. If I'm at an event, the officials there are the boss.
Long story short, I have tapered off my clientele about 75%. Prolly more if I put a pencil to it. My overhead has not changed nor have my bills at home. Just squeezin the belt tight right now. The only thing more expensive than dream chasing in this life is principal. I have not sold Moddin' Art as a show yet so it is still just an expense. I have not sold close to enough DVDs to put a dent in what I spend on the show. To anyone thinking rationally, nothing I am doing right now makes a lick of sense.
On the other hand, I am an alcoholic and simply can't look at anymore glasses of beer for a living. It's the biggest modivator in what I am doing. Also, I have taisted 'self employment' so not only is a staff job pretty hard to do now, my budget makes it impossible. I have painted myself into a corner and the only way to get myself out of it is to sell Moddin' Art as a national television series.
No pressure there, huh?
So far 5 networks have passed on it. With ten Nos for every Yes, I am halfway there, my freind. The key to catching fish is keeping a line in the water and the only way to hit a homer is to swing the freakin bat. I'm swingin with spiderlines galore a trollin as I go.
So, have I walked away from a nice income with lotsa so-called security or have I finillay stratched within reach of a dream.
Won't know till I catch it, man but I won't quit till I do.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 16, 2006 at 9:49:31 pm

Thanks for the insights, Grinner. I was just talking to an aquaintance this week about what guys like us do in a down-market, in a small town, to keep making a living at this on our own, and it's a hard thing.

His take was (and he had a relatively good business going for a time) that the bottom has dropped out of production in our neck of the woods: the local cable throws in production for free when you buy the airtime, and even if your quality is better than what the cable company throws together, to the local advertiser, free beats good any day. So the stuff that still makes money 'round here is corporate, but there's too many guys all going for the same business.

I think one of the few ways to get around that is to make your own market, as you are working at doing, Grin. I was wondering about setting up a cheap podcasting boutique, nice cams, a real studio space, NLE and nice FX and graphics available... I think the real money there though is to be the guy with the servers and bandwidth to host the 'casts, as you get a piece of everything that flows. Like stock brokers and bookies, the web host middleman makes money whether the customers do or not!

Return to posts index

grinner
on Sep 17, 2006 at 3:18:01 am

No doubt the market is changing but man it does that constantly. OUr job , should we choose to stay in it, is to learn to adapt with it, pioneer it when we can and try to look like we know what we're doin' along the way.
It boils down to doin what ya love. We are best at what we love and I say back and thought of other clientele I could replace my current clientele with and came up with
...well I don't really want anyone sittin back there callin shots anymore. I like to come up with concepts, shoot stuff, put it together and call it art. Seems to me since it's what I love doing the most (creativly) It's what I'm best. We should all do what we're best at. Heck I wish my doctor, lawyer, dentist and the dadgum dude in the drivethrough felt the same way.
Now, I still have a livin' to make. Theres the crossroads... the gamble. Can't go all in cuz I am a family of five. Can't really fold cuz I'm gonna be old and wrinkled soon and I don't wanna be pissed about nuthin.
Bitter old men aint mad about what they did in life... they're mad about what they didn't do.
I'ma a jolly old grinnin son of a gun weather I sell a show or not. Those who dies trying died with great success in my book.

My plan? To scoot along till I make a splash. Book enough gigs to keep the bills paid and spend every moment I can honing what I have to offer.
Fish. Swing da bat.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]