day dream

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rap
day dream
by
on Sep 6, 2006 at 7:30:41 pm

Hi every6body;

I am working on a dream sequence where a woman gets a letter then she the next clip is her in her wedding, (wedding sequence) and then the phone rings in her office and so she wake up from her day dream

I was wondering if you could help me with recommending a filter or any effect to get into the dream and out of it, any ideas? Oh and

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
Re: day dream
on Sep 6, 2006 at 7:51:12 pm

OK, this is a classic, so I'll give you the classic solutions:

The 'hands-down-best' way to differentiate the dream sequence is a snap exit. We'll talk about the dream look momentarily, but regarding the dream exit, the hard cut is your friend. In your case, a phone interrupts the reverie... I would cut to XCU on the phone... right up on the thing... holding for the duration of the ring, then cut away to your now slightly bewildered (and differently dressed) women as she 'shakes it off' and reaches for the phone. This requires nothing more than a good sense of timing.

Now the wedding... Wedding videos have a dreamy look often. The quintessential is a gauzy defocus around the subject, and or slightly blown out and contrast softening in the footage. All of it color shifted to a light, light golden feeling. The defocus appears in almost every app as a simulated DOF focus, or you can just wack the whole image with like .1 or .2 gaussian. The slight luminance blow out happens by adjusting your Levels filter. If you happen to have a good color corrector, something like Color Finesse, you'll find excellent controls for this there. But you can get to it through stock level filters too... You might even consider rocking on over to the Wedding Videographer COW and asking some questions from those folks... They all have some great ideas on 'magical' treatment of wedding footage. I know you don't want to buy anything, but I'll put this out there: ANYBODY who edits or composites, and doesn't have Magic Bullet, should get it immediately. I've never seen one particular app that is so universally good at applying all the industry standard color looks (bleach bypass, etc) as Magic Bullet. As well as giving video a grain and luminance control that brings it really close to film... Back to the topic, if you CAN, when you shoot, overcrank. Whatever you can get... Some of the new prosumer (and most of the pro cams) can pump out 60i, some more, some less. What I'm getting at here, is that dreams get 'dreamier' when all the footage is slow by between 10 and 15%... Subtle, but it helps.

Hope these tips prove useful.

Good Luck
Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

rap
by
on Sep 7, 2006 at 5:49:53 am

hey Bob, thanks a lot for your ideas, i'm going to work now, will let you know how it turns out.
regarding the magic bullet, where should i buy it form. whats the best price you think i can get?
yeah i know i cant search the google but ithought i will ask anyway... thank you very much

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Sep 7, 2006 at 2:42:06 pm

Magic bullet can be found at Redgiantsoftware.com...

Have fun.

Bob

MODE Studios
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Crow T Robot
on Sep 7, 2006 at 4:14:32 pm

Here's what I did on a Lottery spot to go in and out of "dream land"

http://www.vidox.com/sample/Holdem_Poker.mov

in this case, a big, growing lens flare got us into the dream sequence, and the yelling audio carried us back to reality.

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
on Sep 7, 2006 at 6:48:11 pm

Haven't tried it, but DigitalFilmTools 55mm effects has a "Halo" effect that would work perfectly.

Look here:
http://www.digitalfilmtools.com/55mm/Halo.htm

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

rap
by
on Sep 7, 2006 at 7:33:15 pm

i've downloaded them but i have a big x over every effect i use, i had avid xpress pro 4.8 i think and it used to work fine with the 5mm effects but after upgrading to 5.5.3 i cant seem to use them anymore. any idea!

thanks a lot for the help guys

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Sep 7, 2006 at 7:41:28 pm

Well, the big red X is surely a sign that the plugs aren't officially registered... If you had purchased them, then it's probably simply a matter of re-entering the serials (process varys from plug to plug). Usually found in the "about" heading...

-Bob

MODE Studios
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]