FORUMS: list search recent posts

Walter Murch on documentary

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim bird
Walter Murch on documentary
on Aug 28, 2006 at 12:53:55 am

A week to two ago I saw snippit of a show featuring Walter Murch discussing the edit of Cold Mountain. I was unable to watch the show, find the show title or even notice what channel it was on.

Anyone know what this was and if it might be available for rent or rebroadcast sometime?

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Walter Murch on documentary
on Aug 28, 2006 at 1:42:22 am

Will probably be on the DVD bonus material.

Return to posts index

cdagvid
on Aug 28, 2006 at 3:02:08 am

You're probably talking about, "The Cutting Edge - The Magic of Movie Editing"
There're quite a few scenes of Murch editing "Cold Mountain" on FCP while standing up (I found it interesting that he edits while standing). It's a pretty interesting documentary. You can rent it off of Netflix if you're a member...that's where I found it. Amazon also carries it if you want to buy it.

Return to posts index

tim bird
on Aug 28, 2006 at 4:00:45 pm

I am indeed a Netflix member, found the movie and added it to my queue... thanks to your recommendation.

I do find many good recommendations for books and movies here in the COW. Perhaps there would be some benefit to a forum on such issues.

Thanks and regards,

Tim

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Aug 28, 2006 at 10:21:40 pm

Visit LAFCPUG.org and find the article I wrote on Walter's speech before the LA final cut pro users group in Feb 2004 regarding Cold Mountain.

His entire speech is available on DVD also.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
on Aug 29, 2006 at 7:53:32 pm

Doc:

http://www.amazon.com/-Cutting-Edge-Magic-/dp/B0009PVZEG/sr=8-4/qid=1156881...

Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Seen-How-Walter/dp/0735714266/sr=8-3/qid=11568...

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Just finished editing "Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo" - see it on PBS & PBS-HD Sept 4, 2006 at 10pm (check local listings!).

Yes, that is Labor Day.

Return to posts index

erik1185
on Aug 30, 2006 at 5:39:44 am

"His entire speech is available on DVD also."

Where can I find this?

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Aug 31, 2006 at 2:17:31 am

On the LAFCPUG website look under past DVD's . It may no longer be available if all the copies were sold out.

In which case just read my article over and over again and imagine you were there on that wonderous night Walter spoke to us little people.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Derek Drouin
on Aug 31, 2006 at 4:39:09 pm

The entire doc is actually on the "Bullitt" special edition

Return to posts index

epontius
on Sep 12, 2006 at 7:05:02 pm

I stumbled up on that doc in the Bullit dvd I had seen it on TV at one point, pleasantly surprised to find it on the Bullit disc. I had almost passed it up thinking it was another 5 min featurette with a 10 mile high view on editing. Anyway, it's one of the more useful and educational docs I've seen on editing.
The Cold Mountain DVD has a lot of good stuff, Murch does a wonderful running commentary that is very insightful.
There is also a book called "Behind the Seen: How Walter Murch Edited Cold Mountain...." That goes into detail through the whole process and the obstacles they had to overcome.
Murch's book "In the Blink of an Eye" is also a must have for the editor's bookshelf. The technology might have changed but the ideas and principals are the same. He also mentions why he prefers editing standing up...years of operating a Moviola upright. He goes into a lot of his other methods as well.

Erik

Return to posts index

Rob Schultz
on Sep 13, 2006 at 5:19:14 am

It may or may not be exactly the same lecture/speech, but there's about an hour's worth of a talk given to the LAFCPUG available on itunes, in podcast form. Just search for 'murch' in the podcast browsing section of the ITMS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]