FORUMS: list search recent posts

NASA HD - Wow!

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
NASA HD - Wow!
on Jul 17, 2006 at 1:15:48 pm

Just wanted to pass along kudos to Tim Allen and everyone there on the HD cameras and the amazing clarity these cameras bring to the shuttle program. I was flipping through the channels this morning and found the landing coverage on HDNET where they showed a replay of the launch along with the landing. Wow! Some of the most stunning HD footage I've seen anywhere.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: NASA HD - Wow!
on Jul 21, 2006 at 3:59:39 am

Amazing what 19.2 MB per seconds looks like over the air :-)

Andy Edwards
AE Digital TV

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 21, 2006 at 10:56:12 am

[Andy Edwards] "
Amazing what 19.2 MB per seconds looks like over the air :-)"

Just depends on who is airing it. :-)

HDNet by far has the best image of the 12 or so HD channels we have and the NASA imagery stood out even on that channel. TNT has the worst HD image with our service. Looks marginally better than their SD feed.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
on Jul 27, 2006 at 1:39:43 pm

[walter biscardi] "TNT has the worst HD image with our service. Looks marginally better than their SD feed."

...And it's not just the service, nor the equipment used to send the HD signal. It goes back to the same phenomenon we're experiencing with some of the content on other HD channels: placement of SD shows in broadcast schedules until there's enough HD programming to fill the 24 hour period. In a purely technical sense, you can broadcast VHS footage you recorded back in 1984 on an HD signal, and it can be thus classified as HD. I'm actually amazed more indie films and docs shot on 35mm haven't been converted to HD and submitted to PBS and TNT. They've been thirsty for content, as evident by their schedule filled with constant repeats.

Also, the re-editing of programs created before the HD revolution is just not really happening like a lot of people expected... for a lot of the same reasons Hendrix hasn't put out any new albums in recent years.

Funny thing is, these recent decades were spent capturing images with video, more so than with film like before. Thus, documentaries that are made 50 years from now on subject matter from the 1980's and 1990's will look worse than ones made about the 1960's. (!!!)

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Just finished editing "Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo" - see it on PBS Sept 4, 2006 at 10pm.
(Yes, that is Labor Day)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 27, 2006 at 1:46:29 pm

Well, with TNT, I'm talking about their live events with HD and I'm using NASCAR as a benchmark since I can compare the same events on different networks.

The Fox broadcast of NASCAR was absolutely amazing in detail and clarity. The TNT broadcast looks marginally better than SD and this is especially noticeable in long distance shots or overhead shots where rasterization and bad interlacing effects really show up.

By comparison as well, ESPN's HD coverage of baseball is absolutely stunning in detail. But nothing I've seen in live HD looks near as good as the NASA HD feed.

As for comparing old stuff in HD, you'd be amazed how good "Hogan's Hero's" looks on HDNET compared to "Charlie's Angels." Charlie's Angels is a wash of film grain while Hogan's Hero's is remarkably sharp. Newer doesn't always mean better.

Though I'll watch Cheryl Ladd any day over anybody on Hogan's Hero's. :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 27, 2006 at 4:57:45 pm

Ok, BIG discovery today. "Quantum Leap" is on Universal HD! Geeks of this world unite!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Aug 4, 2006 at 9:01:53 am

I spent today with the STS-121 crew and I let them know that you guys liked the footage. Hopefully we can maintain or even improve upon that level of clarity for every mission from this point on.

Thanks for the kudos. I know that our engineers and videographers certainly appreciate it.

-Tim

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 4, 2006 at 9:58:28 am

[Timothy J. Allen] "I spent today with the STS-121 crew and I let them know that you guys liked the footage."

Well that's just incredibly cool. I have to say I'm very envious of anyone who works around the Space program and especially anyone who gets to work with the crews. I still love astronomy and anything to do with air or space. In fact I'm a card carrying member of the National Air and Space museum.

[Timothy J. Allen] "Thanks for the kudos. I know that our engineers and videographers certainly appreciate it."

Applause all around!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]