FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing comedy "rules"

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul77
Editing comedy "rules"
on Apr 15, 2006 at 5:17:52 pm

I gather that editing comedy is the hardest genre... I may have a comedy short fillm coming up and before I get on it I was wondering if there are any "golden rules" in editing comedy, over other genres?

Any input appreciated! THANKS

Return to posts index

mark Suszko
Re: Editing comedy "rules"
on Apr 15, 2006 at 11:40:21 pm

What's the secret of comedy?

Return to posts index

mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2006 at 11:40:44 pm

Return to posts index

mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2006 at 11:41:13 pm

TIMING!!!!

Return to posts index

person
on Apr 16, 2006 at 4:26:54 am

comedy. i just updated my spot reel and it is currently all with humor driven work. comedy for spots is difficult only because you have :15-:60 seconds to tell a story, pace it, sell something, and make the audience laugh.

my experience: to be a successful editor of humor is DON"T MISS the funny. keep your eyes open. sometimes shots 211, 215, and 204 are not funny by themselves, but together they make something great. or sometimes it's good to let things just play out if you have a gem of a moment. or cut it up if it's story driven comedy. but if the content in which you are given isn't funny in itself, then making it funny is highly unlikely.

reel here:
http://pupo.com/kelly

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

Return to posts index

paul77
on Apr 16, 2006 at 7:04:42 pm

Loved the reel, especially the "Scratch" spots.

Thanks for the tips. I have over 20 hrs of footage to search through; I'll keep your tips in mind. It's a mellow charater driven feature so I think focussing on bringing out quirky character traits (a la Napoleon Dynamite) rather than going for slam dunk "funnies" is how I'll approach it.

And mark - indeed, timing is, um, you know... all of it. I mean everything. ; 0]

Return to posts index

cow
person
on Apr 16, 2006 at 8:42:47 pm

tanks. the ESPN spot would be the nearest thing to that dynamite flick. wink.

Return to posts index

Tae
by
on Apr 21, 2006 at 7:23:07 am

Remember, comedy happens in threes.

Return to posts index

Chaz Shukat
on Apr 21, 2006 at 9:25:50 pm

Please explain this "rule".

Chaz S.

Return to posts index

cow
person
on Apr 21, 2006 at 9:38:51 pm

well the rule thing is always going to be a little off in this business, but i can say this.

rule 1: is if funny?
rule 2: make it funny
rule 3: is if funny yet?
rule 4: try something completely different if it isn't funny yet. and return to rule 1.

Return to posts index

person
on Apr 21, 2006 at 9:39:44 pm

if = it

Return to posts index

mark Suszko
on Apr 21, 2006 at 10:44:06 pm

For me one of the set in stone principles of comedy is a sense of narrative circularity. The "Who's on first" bit is only funny because it continually loops, and more and more improbably, no matter what Costello tries to do to Abbott's setup. We always wind up "at I dunno - third base!"

Stand-up comics always seem to try to bring the routine back to where it started in this same way, and the more unlikely that is to be accomplished, the more we love it when they DO connect it back, and feel somehow incomplete if it doesn't happen. I think it must satisfy some inherent need in our minds for closure. I know for certain it makes things funnier. Seinfeld's show/jokes and even more so, Larry David's absurdist "Curb Your Enthusiasm", work almost exclusively in this manner. The big revelation/punchline is when this improbable series of unrelated single, non-funny events loops back onto itself and closes the circle. This is a solid narrative trope, long proven successful in sitcoms since before Uncle Miltie.

This is not the only thing that makes something funny, it's just one thing.

The purely absurd/incongruous is funny, standing on it's own, but I feel that's rather more hit-and-miss. Like slapstick. I think Slapstick doesn't work until the audience identifies with someone in the situation. Otherwise, it's just witnessing an accident. I will say, I have seen people whoop and guffaw at accidents too, like when a real waiter drops and breaks some glasses in a restaurant, but usually only the really coarse or stupid ones laugh at that. maybe that's because they are releasing the tension of fear , being glad it wasn't them, and so identifying with themselves, not the pratfaller. I dunno, perhaps it's all a lot of overanalyzing at this point.

Timing is really important, and can make all the difference between two identical situations, one funny and one not. I think timing is a skill that can be learned by anyone, can be trained by imitating to find and repeat rhythms, but that comes naturally only to the gifted.

Timing can help bring about the "narrative circularity" I talked about earlier: say, a scene where some stuff falls on the head of a guy, and he's reacted to it, along the line of "at least That's over with". You get the extra laugh out of the scene when he and the audience, thru the passage of enough rhythmic beats, anticipate the stuff is done falling, but the setup line suggests a new thing to anticipate, and when one more piece then DOES fall, that suspended time is closed.

Oh well, they say you can kill any joke by trying too hard to explain it, so I'll stop here.

Return to posts index

Chip Johns
on May 28, 2006 at 7:37:44 am

Just something else to add. I have found that it is easy to get caught up in a self perception. What I start out with in my mind is funny, but what I end up with isn't and I don't see the difference. Always, have someone who isn't working on the project determine whether what you are doing is working or not. Someone you can trust; and believe them no matter whay YOU think.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]