FORUMS: list search recent posts

making PAL with software

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FXholt
making PAL with software
on Mar 28, 2006 at 8:45:21 pm

This week I'm making a stack of Pal masters of a feature length doc for europe, and due to budget we've decided to do them in house, instead of paying $300 + per tape (digibeta). Also, each tape is different, ie with or without text, 4x3 or 16x9 etc etc. I thought that Compressor 2 was supposed to have amazing new standards conversion, but in wide panning landscape shots, it looks exactly like QT conversion or rendering to PAL in FCP always did- a huge jump every second, only improvement is it takes EVEN LONGER to encode.
Unfortunately, I'm starting with a 29.97 NTSC program and not a 24, so after trying different things, I've settled on doing the "reverse telecine" in cinema tools (material did originate on film), then still in cinema tools, conforming the new 24 fps file to 25 so it plays slightly faster, and adjusting the speed of the various AIF tracks to match. Then I put it all in a PAL sequence and output to PAL digi.
Is there a better way? It looks better than compressor, but still a little edgy in wide panning shots, a slight tick-tick-tick, and of course its playing 4 percent faster.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
FX

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Alister
Re: making PAL with software
on Mar 30, 2006 at 1:09:04 pm

definately. the nattress plugin does the job quickly and easily.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]