FORUMS: list search recent posts

making fight scenes look better

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack halsey
making fight scenes look better
on Mar 20, 2006 at 7:25:16 pm

I have just finished some fight scenes and they are not quite what I wanted so I was wondering how they edit some of these in feature films.

I know that if you dont have the footage...well..you dont have the footage..but I specficially referring to the movies where they do the really quick cuts and shakey cam to make the fight seem better than it was..like in that Orlando Bloom movie last summer about the crusades..

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: making fight scenes look better
on Mar 20, 2006 at 8:01:56 pm

Well, you can throw some shutter effects on the footage, you can ramp the speed up and down, from overcranked to uber-slow on thepoint of contact. See Guy Ritchie's films, he's known for this technique. You can play with the audio, make it a silent fight with specific sound effects leaking thru a muzzy background din as punctuation.

You can throw in flash frames of white at impacts or alongside cuts to new angles. You can shake the frame of POV shots in post to make them seem more realistic. You could go back and shoot more cutaways, more footwork, the corner men, ref, judges, crowd reactions, etc. You can cut-away to some internal visual monologue in the protagonist's head, flashbacks to family, to childhood trauma's, etc. When you add layers of context, you add psychological weight to the punches, so when they connect, it's not just a simple meat to meat contact, but a symbolic blow against everything and everyone the character is fighting.

I saw a fun technique where after the gloved fist connects to a ribcage, it cuts to an x-ray shot of the bones bending and cracking for just a second. Effective scenes like that were in the movie "Cinderella Man" and "The Rundown" (which I didn't think I would enjoy, but really did). You can also look at what they did in "Fight Club"... just don't talk about it...:-)

Return to posts index

jack halsey
Re: making fight scenes look better
on Mar 20, 2006 at 8:54:36 pm

Mark

THANK you. What a wealth of information..am applying it as we speak...thank you again!!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

jack halsey
Re: Mark, could you look at footage
on Mar 21, 2006 at 12:25:55 am

Mark

I have a little footage uploaded. Could you take a quick look. Please email me at jetli34@hotmail.com.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
person
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:40:54 am

i cut a trailer for seattle film festival a couple years back that involved a fight scene between two sword wielding samurais that eventually embraced in a kiss only to be destroyed by a meteor.

the fight scene footage was really C-. i ended up having to flop shots, speed shots up, repo, etc. basically i had to milk the footage to the extreme. as an editor i did what i could and then some. the biggest thing that helped was sound. i really pushed the limits with sound design and layered in taiko drums as well. i still would have liked to have had more compelling footage in the end, but it turned out pretty good for what it was. the concept was solid enough to make it work too.

never forget to use sound in editing. it can tell 50% of the story.

Return to posts index

jack halsey
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:46:11 am

Yes thank you I have been scoring it and it is making it look better than it really is.

Return to posts index

promoboy
on Mar 21, 2006 at 12:52:13 pm

Person,
I think I've seen that trailer! I can't for the life of me remember where or why or when (probably on the internet when I was rendering late at night), but I do remember seeing it and it cracked me up. You do very nice work.

Mike.

Return to posts index

person
on Mar 21, 2006 at 1:59:43 pm

if you want to take a look, it's under 'local spot' catagory called 'samurai trailer'. it got beat by the coinstar spot. thanks.

http://aice.org/finalistsframe2005.html

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 21, 2006 at 6:04:18 pm

Jack, you started this thread, but I never got a link from you, so have not seen anything yet.

Saw the samurai piece, very nice, nothing to apologize for, it was executed very well in every regard. Wish I got to work on stuff that fun and cool.

The one spot in it that may have not been as powerful as it could be, and this is truly a minor nitpick, was the moment they stop fighting and realization dawns. I think in hindsight, what I might have done differently there was, let one show he's gotten a small, bleeding scratch/cut from a near-miss; then let the other one recognize it and let the triumph on his face turn to concern because he's realizing he cares for the guy and cant go on wioth this to it's inevitable conclusion... and then it goes on as before from there. Because the way you have it now, the motivation for their stopping is not all that clear.

"It made me so ashamed, I tried to commit Sudoku."
;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]