FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Future of DBeta

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Macadamia
The Future of DBeta
on Mar 13, 2006 at 3:46:47 pm

I posted this over on the "Broadcast Video" forum but thought I might duplicate efforts here for those who don't get around much anymore.

I have the opportunity to purchase a used DigiBeta machine (DVW500) on pretty favorable terms. My question is do you think, given the changing broadcast landscape, that investing in DigiBeta is a wise decision.

That's the quick, general version of my question. Specifically, I don't need a DigiBeta machine, I'd like one. I'm a Director/DP and edit primarily for myself; personal projects, spec jobs, demo reels, that sort of thing. I do have a couple of paying editorial clients but they seem fine with the Beta SP quality I've been delivering. I can't afford to invest in high end HD equipment but feel I need to begin moving away from the analogue world. The DBeta offer is tempting but perhaps some of you might have other thoughts about going digital; DVCPro 50, Digital -S, DVCAM. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
Re: The Future of DBeta
on Mar 13, 2006 at 5:47:57 pm

Depends on your delivery needs.

IE- When sending anything for broadcast to PBS National, we need full-sized D-Beta tape(s). Does that mean we need to own a deck? No. That's what dub houses are for. HOWEVER, PBS is famously strict on their tech requirements and owning our own D-Beta deck has saved us countless times (we can do our own in-house digital tech checks).

Too often has the dub house's proc been off and messed up good video levels.

Regarding quality though, when creating Avid "archive-to-videotape" masters (or any in-house masters for that matter), we ALWAYS use D-Beta. I don't think anything out there offers 100% perfect 1:1 on-tape resolution, but D-Beta comes much closer than DVC-Pro, etc.

BIG DOWNSIDE: no HD capability as of yet.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 14, 2006 at 4:13:22 am

Rick,

As long as there is still SD production, a digibeta deck will have value. Whether you can justify the expense is only a question you can answer. However, be aware that as soon as HD takes over the bulk of production out there, a digi deck will be about as valuable as a 3/4" Umatic (remember those?) The question then becomes, can you recover your investment before it's obsolete. Yes? Buy it. No? Not unless you need a boat anchor.

Mark

Return to posts index

person
on Mar 14, 2006 at 2:56:10 pm

everything we finish in the spot world is either to Digibeta or HD. nothing else. it's the industry standard. we just purchased one ourselves.

Return to posts index

Rick Macadamia
Re: Appreciate the DBeta Thoughts
on Mar 14, 2006 at 7:12:02 pm

Thanks, that's the sort of feedback I was interested in. I know that DBeta is a good format, pretty much the standard for most shops today and certainly almost all of my projects eventually end up onto DigiBeta. But I also know that HD is coming up fast and there seems to be no question that it's the next big thing.

I know it's an educated guessing game but I'm just not sure how long DBeta is going to remain in its dominate position. And for a guy like me, who doesn't make his primary income from editing, that machine is not going to pay for itself in one year.

Maybe I need to be thinking about investing in the future and not what is soon to be the past. Even if, for me, the future is a lower end HD system. At least that way I can begin learning the ins and outs of the HD format.

Thanks again for the input.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Mar 14, 2006 at 10:19:51 pm

I have Digital S. Great format...not too easy to get anyone else to make a dub from it. Stick with Digibeta

Return to posts index

editz
on May 13, 2006 at 3:31:17 pm

Heck, why bother with Digibeta demo reels when you can soon do HD DVD authoring? And while I won't speak to mastering, I think distribution of product (at least short form stuff) will be digital and tapeless. Sending out finished spots will be no more difficult than email.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]