FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DavePotts
Color Correction
on Feb 22, 2006 at 6:57:00 pm

I figured this might be the best Cow forum to post this in... there's no general "post production" forum. I'm looking for any advice on learning proper color correction: Books, DVD's, tutorials, schools. The platform or software isn't as important to me as learning the in depth nuts and bolts of correcting shot lighting, grading for effect, secondary color correction, etc. I've got experience and rudimentary knowledge of making basic adjustments to compensate for poor lighting, etc., and how certain effects are acheived, but I want to get more in depth and build my confidence when it comes to this area. If anyone has any solid advice on where to begin, I'd be grateful.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

promoboy
Re: Color Correction
on Feb 22, 2006 at 8:37:23 pm

I haven't read it, but it got a great review here on the cow. Probably worth checking out.

http://creativecow.net/articles/onneweer_barend/color_corr/index.html

Return to posts index

Timothy Allen
on Feb 23, 2006 at 7:02:04 pm

Another good one, if you are looking for getting a good grounding in the basic concepts of color grading, is Video Color Correction for Non-Linear Editors: A Step-by-Step Guide, by Stuart Blake Jones.

It has step by step instructions for basic and secondary color correction techniques using the most common NLEs. The companion CD-ROM is also useful.

It has "real world" examples of common color grading issues and the step by step instructions of how to tackle the problem using the built-in tools that come with Avid, Final Cut Pro, etc.

-TJA

Return to posts index

DavePotts
on Feb 23, 2006 at 8:45:00 pm

Thanks guys, sounds like the books are a good place to start.

Cheers...

"You know, television was actually invented in the 1890s, but they couldn't get it to work until the '40s when they came out with gaffer tape." --Walter Pyle, CBS

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Feb 26, 2006 at 3:21:27 am

get Steve Hullfish's book and dl the color finesse demo. The CF manual is also very good but the CF interface provides an ideal intro - especially with the Hullfish book which uses CF a lot

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 2, 2006 at 10:16:22 pm

I bought this:

http://www.rippletraining.com/color_correction_for_final_cut_pro_.html

Demonstrations on color correction and how to use the tools. Someone SHOWING you...which is darn helpful.

Shane

Alokut Productions
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
on Mar 2, 2006 at 11:22:04 pm

Great question... I am trying to learn correction through the curves function in Adobe based software... I am getting some pretty good tutorials online and in the digital arts magazines. Thanks for the good pointers...

Matt Sowder
Fiddler's Ridge Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]