FORUMS: list search recent posts

editors' agents?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oilydal
editors' agents?
on Feb 12, 2006 at 12:15:58 am

i'm an editor living in los angeles who's been cutting mostly reality tv and documentaries...i was starting to look around at agents who represent editors in the hope of getting some help making the move into film or scripted tv work.

i'm just wondering if anybody out there has had experience (good or bad) with agents...do they get the results you were looking for? do you feel like it's a worthwhile option? do you normally have to pay their percentage even for the jobs that you book yourself? any important questions to ask an agent before deciding on them? any recommendations on specific agencies/agents? really, any advice at all would be helpful!

thanks!

Return to posts index

Alan Bell
Re: editors' agents?
on Feb 15, 2006 at 4:41:05 am

If you plan to work in features and narrative of pretty much any kind in Los Angeles then you will want to get an agent. I have one and it seems I one of the few people I know who really appreciates the value of having an agent. It really comes down to expectation. Most people I know particulary the folks who are breaking in and may not have many credits have overly high expectation of their agents. I prefer to look at my agent as a partner in my career. We talk about the films I am up for and if they will benifit my career etc. Do I give her a commission on the jobs I get my self? Yes I do but there are editors out there who make other agrengments. All an agent can really do for you is get you in the door and make your deal. A good agent will get you a good deal with perks and protect your credit etc. You have to get the job and keep it.

If you are a member of the editors guild then you can use the resource on there web site to get a list of the agents you will want to meet with. I recomend that you get a couple of credits under your belt before getting an agent. You may find that it's difficult to get an agent interested in taking you on if your credits don't reflect the genre that you are trying to break into. They need to be able to sell you and credits in hollywood mean everything.

good luck

Alan Bell

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Feb 15, 2006 at 4:45:32 pm

Hi Alan, I've never had an agent. To be honest I've never thought about it. Is their payment based strictly on them getting you work? Do you think it would be usefull in a smaller market than LA? I'm in Denver and it can be really tough to keep work steady.

Scott Davis

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Alan Bell
on Feb 17, 2006 at 5:08:55 am

I really couldn't say if it would help in a smaller market.

It's more necasary in hollywood because of the competition, everyone has an agent so everyone needs an agent. It used to be (before my time here as an editor) that few editors had agents and we sort of networked to find jobs. Now days that has changed. Agents rule the roost. You go on an interview and it's because your agent got your resume out and generated interest in you, then if they want to meet you get the script read it and decide if it's something you should meet on. The rest is up to you until they decide to hire you. Then your agent takes it from there.

There is a diffenat system in hollywood that works where agents, producer and studio executives constantly talk about clients and jobs. In a small market that scenario may not work as well.

I give my agent 10% of all my work. It's no small chunk of change.

Regards
Alan Bell

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Feb 20, 2006 at 3:48:29 pm

Thanks Alan.

Return to posts index

Gene Patrick
on Feb 18, 2006 at 2:58:14 am

While I agree with what Alan says concerning agents "I prefer to look at my agent as a partner in my career" One thing I would say is that you should make sure you shop around for an agent and not go with the first one that offers to take you on. I had an agent a few years ago whom I really liked, but had clients who were always late in making their net 30 payments. One of their clients, with whom I spent 6 weeks full time on a project finally paid after 150 days! And that was the third client in a row that did that.

After the last one, I decided to use my own networking skills and have never been out of work since. So take your time and interview the agent as much as they are interviewing you.

Good luck,

Gene M. Patrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]