FORUMS: list search recent posts

photomosaic images in video

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
photomosaic images in video
by
on Jan 4, 2006 at 5:53:34 pm

I'm trying to figure out how I could create the efect of many video images imagesbeing joined together into one solid image. For example, I want to show images relevant to a large corporation (ad campaigns, still shots, video clips of people and locations, etc) and have them appeaar as a mosaic that fills in at the end to be the company's logo or building. Any thoughts? Thanks

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: photomosaic images in video
on Jan 5, 2006 at 2:11:56 pm

Hi
You would do it best with a compositor like combustion, after effects, or shake to create the layers and combine and dissolve them to the logo. It is an arduous task and most who do it work on a higher end system such as Flint or Flame and do it often. I've done a small fly-in to create a brochure cover in smoke but the effects systems handle it a little better than the editing systems.
Go ahead and try it if you can - it is a great experience.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 5, 2006 at 5:40:02 pm

I use an inexpensive program designed to make still photomosaics. I forget the name but I think it is PhotoMontage. You can run it through several times with different collections to give the impression of motion.

Doing this with images that are actually moving video is a lot trickier. If you plan to zoom into or out from a portion of the photomosaic to reveal motion images, you might want to concentrate your efforts on that part only and use the automatically-generated photomosaic for the rest of the image.

Good luck. It's fun... once.

-- BC

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 5, 2006 at 9:36:05 pm

The inexpensive photomontage program is by Arcsoft. It's cute, I want it too, I think it was under fifty dollars to download and I have tried pitching using it to clients for a PSA or commercial promo a couple of times, but this is one of those things clients can't really imagine well until you've shown them the finished product... yet you need them to approve the week's worth of work before you CAN show them a product... so (sigh) I have yet to play with it myself. It's PC and I'm mac at home.

It's only designed for stills, but if you were to render out at a really *large* size, you could then bring that into a compositor and fly it around a bit, could look really choice. How I would do it is to build three to five of the posters, the same size, the same master image, but with different "seed" files. Stack them in a pile, all registered perfectly on layers in the NLE or compositor. Then a simple dissolve or cut between the versions, while the animated camera flys over the entire comp, would give you a "little" motion/change in the thing, perhaps enough to sell the effect you want. Or you cheat the thing: build onefull-frame poster image, but don;t reveal it up front: start with a single full-frame, full-res image on it's own layer, and z-axis shrink that into one tiny thumbnail to reveal the poster image behind it.

Other ways to go with this would be to use the After Effects "card flip" effect plug-in. This gives that effect you see when people in the stands at a stadium each hold up colored cards that work like giant pixels to make a large image. Supposedly, a lot of this effect can be automated, but just thinking about it intimidates the heck out of me;-) Smaller versions of this have been pre-built in Boris FX, you just assign the footage to the requisite number of timelines and it does the rest. A time-saving tip for trying this way: Build ONE master timeline full of base footage, then copy-paste it into all the other tracks and offset each track a couple seconds randomly forward or back. This makes all your panels change seemingly at random, while looping your set number of shots. Economical of your time.

Then there's a 3-d application. You can model a sea of panels in lightwave, max, or the like, then map actual video to each panel, and keyframe as few or as many aspects of the composition as you need. The render would take a long time, overnight at least, but you could get fabulous quality that way. I would not reccomend it to a rank beginner animator, though, unless you started small, with say a dozen panels. Each panel can be set to accept a targa file sequence of images or an actual .avi file. Either way, that's full-motion video.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 8, 2006 at 10:46:56 pm

It's useful to play with the Arcsoft product, bec. (1) it automates the job of matching color areas with stills that contain the appropriate color, and (2) after you've played with it awhile you can get a sense of which "master" images work well as a photomosaic, and which are a waste of time.

Even if you want to roll-your-own, I'd recommend using PhotoMontage (?) first, to see whether the master image "reads" as a photomosaic.

Return to posts index

Bill Nahlik
on Jan 24, 2006 at 6:03:26 pm

I've done a couple of these in After Effects.

For a how-to, go to http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae50_e.html

Ayatoweb has great tutorials!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]