FORUMS: list search recent posts

Training Clients

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Sowder
Training Clients
on Dec 13, 2005 at 11:28:42 pm

I sense another great line of "training" DVDs from the cow...

Of course, I had read with enthusiam the thread from which this was "inspired". Just a few minutes ago, I listened to a client chew someone out for late ads when this person is directly responsible for the "lateness" at which we get all the elements to go to press FOR... ah deep breath... Besides timeliness, accuracy, fair play, creative allowances etc... any thing you'd want in your "training clients" DVD? (targets painted on their shirts?)

Matt Sowder
Fiddler's Ridge Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Training Clients
on Dec 14, 2005 at 4:04:44 pm

Bring chocolate!:-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 14, 2005 at 4:10:19 pm

More seriously, my biggest problem with clients for a while now has been an over-reliance on powerpoint as not only their source of graphics, but their "script", derived from the "speaker's notes" part of PPT. It's really the exact reverse of the ideal situation; you want to create the best script you can first.

Not a day goes by here in the shop where the editors aren't going nuts trying to find or create b-roll elements to cover what the client put in the script as narration. So I would say: clients, understand that it costs more in time and work to create or re-create elements you never shot in the first place.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 14, 2005 at 5:38:41 pm

Totally empathize with the problem of creating B-roll elements due to lazy clients.

On the other hand... "graphics creation" has become a lucrative add-on to the editing assignment.

Now that the clients know we can make something out of nothing (moving on stills, creating graphics in Photoshop and animating them in After Effects), the only incentive for the clients to write to the material is paying the editor for the time it takes. It can go so far that the editor becomes a sort of producer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]