FORUMS: list search recent posts

Samples -> "music"

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Samples -> "music"
on Dec 1, 2005 at 4:52:46 pm

I was about to post this question in the Audio forum but it actually has more to do with editing.

I've never used Acid (the software) but I am intrigued by the idea of samples, because I tend to avoid the melody, and instead use small, "atmospheric" bits of library music, often layered. The COW this a.m. has a news release about a collection of samples called "Piano Attack," but I am so clueless about this area that I have no idea how I would go about using it.

I'd be very interested in the response of editors who have worked with sampling. Whose software do you use? How do you go about it? I know that hiring a professional music editor is the best choice, but I like this part of editing too much to hire it done.

-- BC

Return to posts index

person
Re: Samples -> "music"
on Dec 1, 2005 at 10:51:05 pm

i'm curious as to weather using samples for commercial purposes is actually legal. are they actual samples from existing sources? if so, then they can't be legal to use, unless it's for your own use.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Samples -> "music"
on Dec 1, 2005 at 11:14:18 pm

These are very fun indeed, if you have any musical ability at all. If you've never taken a piano lesson or whatever, it may be a little harder to get started, unless you have a good sense of rythm and an innate understanding of typical song structures. If you can count out four beats to a measure, and most editors can, you can figure this out. Or look at a pore-built example track, remove and move around soe of thepieces to de-construct it, and you'll soon get how it works. It's not unlike multi-track timeline work in a compositing program.

It helps to be a musician, but you certainly don't need to be a Berklee music school (sp) grad to use these. Apple's version of this is as easy as playing with legos. Sonicfire is a treat too. You can let the clips click together magnetically and automatically align, or you can freely place them how and where you want, to get certain effects.

Acid has a reputation of being mostly for hip-hop and trance music, because most of the early sample collections were oriented towards that. But that is no longer the case, they have really opened up the genres for the Acid community, and now there is classical, pops, jazz, blues, reggae,new age, all manner of stuff. You can also always import your own clips from other sources, and use them in productions if you have legal clearances.

For simple joy of/ease of use, I'd say Apple Garage Band, Apple Soundtrack and Sonicfire are the best choices. On the PC side, Acid has the advantage of a large user community and many aftermarket resources.

As to the legalities, you'd have to re-check the SWA to be absolutely sure, but all the marketing stuff I've seen from Apple says this stuff has been cleared to use how you like, except for the usual rule you can't re-market the samples themselves as a product, only the songs you make using them.

I think Apple marketing department is missing a bet here by not adding a feature that lets you submit your musical construtions to itunes to sell... Apple could make a percentage off each download and kick back a micro-payment to the creator of the track for each sale... or at least build up credits towards purchase of future Apple products. Like frequent flyer miles. Frequent flyer Miles-Davis, maybe;-)

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Thanks, and one more question
on Dec 2, 2005 at 2:09:02 pm

[Mark Suszko] "For simple joy of/ease of use, I'd say Apple Garage Band, Apple Soundtrack and Sonicfire are the best choices. On the PC side, Acid has the advantage of a large user community and many aftermarket resources."

Thanks very much for the informative response. Is there a list somewhere of the file types which those products can use? When I look at sample libraries, they don't mention any of the above, but rather such products as

HALion
EXS 24
Intakt
Kontakt
Giga Sampler
Mach 5
Reason NN-XT

Return to posts index

cweath
Re: Thanks, and one more question
on Dec 6, 2005 at 3:28:44 pm

You're talking about two different things. One is "samples" the other is "loops". GarageBand, Soundtrack, and Acid are loop-based production software, Each loop is file that can be stretched out in time and just continues to play itself over and over. These can be single instruments (bass, guitar, fluglehorn) or pre-mixed groups (jazz quartet, string section, R&B horns). So you might find a drum kit that you like, lay it down for 4 measures, go find a bass line that works well with it and put it in a new track, then a tasty guitar lick, etc, etc.
Samples are altogether different and really require a strong musical background. Samples are often single notes or chords from a single instrument (a Steinway grand piano playing middle C, a '65 Strat through a Marshall stack playing a D chord). Then you compose the notes you want them to play and the software tweaks the samples to play what you wrote.
Loops are easier for the non-musician (I raise my hand) but are limited to what you can piece together from your available files.
For Acid look for Acid loops and for GarageBand/Soundtrack look for Apple loops. I know GB/ST can use Acid loops but don't know about vice-versa. Also other files (wav, aif) can be imported and converted to loops.
Be careful, looping is very addictive.

"Where ever you go, there you are."

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Thanks very much
on Dec 7, 2005 at 5:13:40 pm

You nailed it!

I appreciate the information.

-- BC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved