FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on Editing Reel

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Osika
Advice on Editing Reel
on Sep 7, 2005 at 5:10:01 pm

I am looking for advice on putting together an editing reel. Most of my experience is in documentary/news magazine style work, but I'm open to looking at any samples. How long should it be? How should each clip be separated? How diverse should it be? Should it be fast paced with many clips or 2-3 minute clips of a few pieces? Any advice you have would be very much appreciated. I searched "reels" in this forum and didn't find much, so also if you want to direct me to a previous discussion somewhere else, that too would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Ryan

Return to posts index

person
Re: Advice on Editing Reel
on Sep 7, 2005 at 9:40:33 pm

try visiting this forum:
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_view_posts.cgi?forumid=173

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
on Sep 9, 2005 at 3:56:06 am

Ryan,
If you're lucky enough to have gear at home to edit your reel with then maybe my approach will help. When I first got to Houston, I had this 'all purpose' reel. Some shooting, some directing, etc... My reel wasn't bad. I've seen others and totally unobjectively feel that way =). I realized that I needed a change when I got asked, "sure, but how much of this did you shoot?" I realized that I didn't tailor my reel to what they were looking for. Had I done just a little more research (the ad wanted it all, silly me) I could have given them totally start to finish work. Now, I keep my reel elements organized by pure editing, pure graphics, shooting, news, live-production etc... Now that I'm in a position to look for editing talent on occasion, I watch the reels specifically for good solid skills. The reel stops on mistake (you know, not INTENTIONAL) flash frames, jump cuts, etc...

Stay on target to where you are applying. In a way, you are creating a program for a very small audience. What they want to see should guide you in your decisions. We just need to take our job one more step and apply to it OUR self promotion. A documentary production house will want to see how you handle the narrative. A large chunk of program maybe necessary. I do spot work. That's what I need to see. In 3 Minutes, I had better have watched at least 6 spots.

Just some thoughts. I know that I looked back on your question thinking that I wish I had known then what I know now.

Matt Sowder
Fiddler's Ridge Productions

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Sep 9, 2005 at 4:29:12 pm

Matt,

Thanks very much for your advice. I have read it all through and will give it close attention as I put together my reel. Your time is very much appreciate.

Ryan Osika

Return to posts index

Chxeditor
on Sep 9, 2005 at 10:50:10 pm

The great thing about making a reel on a DVD is you can customize for different clients. You can type up different information on select pages that will reflect the particular job you're looking at.

When I made a reel recently I had my spots & promos up first edited together into a 4 minute "reel". plus I had links to my longer pieces. I had entire segments of 1/2 hr shows that each ran about 6-8 minutes. I had a 10 minute sale video on a seperate button.

and then just for grins, for one use only, I put in a 3 minute home video of me waterskiing.

I suggest you make a professional presentation but then also try add a personal touch with some humor. also all the BGs for each page were personal photographs I took, just to add a little more personality.

good luck ... and go get'em.

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Sep 10, 2005 at 3:31:19 am

excellent. thanks very much. I like the idea of including some longer pieces if people want to use them. Plus, customizing the DVD for different employers is a useful tip. Thanks!

Ryan Osika

Return to posts index

Walter Biscardi
on Sep 10, 2005 at 3:29:31 am

With the advent of DVD, I have completely changed the way I develop my reels. I used to have the standard "highlights" of 2 - 4 minutes. Now I have almost 2 hours of material on a DVD with entire pieces that clients can pick and choose what they want to look at.

I developed a single menu that has 6 catageories like Commercial, Documentary, Music, Children, etc.... and each category has 5 or 6 clips. A single menu is important because with a demo I don't want the client to have to navigate multiple menus.

The response to my demo has been extremely positive since I started using this version of it last year.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Now in Production, "The Rough Cut," http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now editing "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Jeremy Smith
on Sep 20, 2005 at 4:32:30 pm

As I was reading this I was thining to myself..."wouldn't a dvd be great for this, you can put everything on it and show off all your skills...."

I'm just about to that point of having to raelly polish mine up. Thanks Walter, I feel alot better about that approach now :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]