FORUMS: list search recent posts

editing work environments

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
editing work environments
on Jun 27, 2005 at 5:37:07 pm

Based upon the thread below about ways to minimize burnout etc, I thought we could share images of our work environments. I am sure a few of us are in posh suites with mahogany and leather, while others are using an old door and 2 sawhorses, with most of us somewhere in between.
Here's mine.
http://www.thefilebucket.com/userfiles/himynameisjoe/office.jpg
Wow, it looks a lot messier than I thought!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

AVID_CHUMP
Re: editing work environments
on Jun 28, 2005 at 8:38:18 am

Geez man

That room looks like chaos !!!

I guess i must be the type of editor that likes tidyness and order then, lol !

Return to posts index

plasma
on Jun 28, 2005 at 2:49:58 pm

yikes. not a client friendly space. good luck.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:36:12 pm

I thought a visual thread would be an interesting idea.
Perhaps not.

Mike

Return to posts index

plasma
on Jun 28, 2005 at 11:02:10 pm

sorry, might have been a little harsh. here's my suite

http://pupo.com/kelly/kvl_edit_suite.jpg

the best part is natural light

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 29, 2005 at 1:47:32 am

not a problem - which reminds me, I have a rare editing session with an outside client, I'd better get some boxes :)

I think one reason it is so cluttered is this is my office and editing bay in one space. While it is nice to be able to swivel my chair to any of 3 computers, the non-editing tasks seem to use a lot of paper.

I like the decor Plasma. Very cool desk.

Mike

Return to posts index

mick
Clean room = Clean edits
by
on Jun 30, 2005 at 12:30:48 am

hey there,

Just thought that i would pop in with a thought. I always begin an edit by tidying up the space if i work in a room that is shared. When at home i use a nice sunroom with an antique table. Using a laptop also helps keep down the wires and other messies that build up. Never eat in the edit suite. The lingering smells are nasty and watching (or listening to) someone else eat can adversly affect the outcome of an edit.

A nice clean organized room is the best way to start and finish a nice clean organized edit. Clients are looking at the end product, so why not help yourself out and enjoy your surroundings.

Note - watch shows where people work in clean spaces, like CSI Vegas. Meditate on it...

Mick

Return to posts index

plasma
Re: Clean room = Clean edits
on Jun 30, 2005 at 4:06:59 am

i agree with the eating in the suite thing. though snacks are fine, unless they are noisy. we have a lunch break when working with clients. gives us all a break, and is a good way to strike up conversation without being attached to the gear. face to face. plus we come back to the material with fresh eyes, and without the diner smell.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 30, 2005 at 11:20:58 am

You can view our shop at the link below. I actually need to update the photos this week as we have updated the equipment in both rooms since, but the look and feel are the same.

We have two edit suites, a small kitchen and an entertainment room.

http://www.biscardicreative.com/tour.htm

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Now in Production, "The Rough Cut," http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

colourblind
on Jun 30, 2005 at 1:11:04 pm

I do agree with the eating / (even driking) thing inside the studio facility. However, keepe a clean work space might prove to be quite a challenge sometimes when there's a large amount of work to do, people coming and going out of your suite etc. etc. Also, sometimes people fall into the other extreme where they put cleaning first and work last. It's some kind of cleaning/ ordering mania of some sort.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jun 30, 2005 at 3:12:06 pm

I guess we all have our views of things. I would never tell a client he couldn't eat or drink in the edit bay, where we might be for the next 8-15 hours. My clients might decide to go elsewhere. We did institute a no smoking in the building, which didn't affect my clientelle too adversly.

When I am on a roll the last thing I want to do is break away for an hour to eat. I break concentration. Lose my place to what I had been thinking. In the days of linear editing that could be devastating. I set in my mind the entire project start to finish, I couldn't leave in the middle of a scene for a lunch break. I ate on the fly between edits. I would take a short walk when my head got bogged down, but those were never over 5 minutes. We all have our own way of working, doesn't always work for everybody.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 30, 2005 at 8:07:18 pm

Well, since I often can be working 12-plus hours at a stretch in the suite, heck yes I'm going to eat candy or cookies and drink stuff in the room. You wanna make an issue, I could take the mandatory (and longer) union breaks....?

Actual meals, I will usually move to another space like my office desk or if I have to stay near the room to monitor a render or batch job or something, I'll eat in the back of the room using the couch and client table. I just don't have practical alternatives. I do make sure breath mints are always plentiful, though I find it's usually the clients that need them more.

I don't let clients put their foodstuffs on my console or near the switcher or anything. Me, my drinks are kept in sealed bottles, so there is little danger of spills, and I keep them handy but not next to/over anything critical.

One time we'd worked a 20-hour day, had Chinese food brought in for a working dinner break, finished the job in the dawn hours of a Saturday, and I forgot the cleaning crews only worked week days. Monday, the suite had a not-so-fresh feeling, but Febreeze works wonders. That and switching out the upholstered chairs every now and then;-)

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 30, 2005 at 11:17:04 pm

Not shown in my original post is my wall-o-shelves, containing raw footage for all active projects, some finished projects, some stock footage, reference books, catalogs and, oh yes, food supplies. I keep a good selection of soups, canned tuna, granola bars, powdered drink mixes, bottled water, instant coffee, plastic utensils, paper towels and the occasional Twinkie. Usually a jar of peanut butter and jelly and a loaf of bread in the fridge if I know I have a busy week.
These items are often called into play at 2AM while finishing a video, rendering or whatever.
As for eating, it is usually at my desk, but we do have several restaurants in our office park, so when clients visit we try to go out, or eat in the conference room.
It is clear that everyone works in their own unique way.
As long as the projects get completed...that's goal #1.
Good point about remembering when the trash gets emptied (Saturdays) - a banana peel deposited Monday is a living breathing creature by the weekend!

Interesting posts.

Mike

Return to posts index

Will Edit for Food
on Jul 1, 2005 at 2:45:18 am

[Mark Suszko] "12-plus hours at a stretch in the suite"

Usually after hour nine, my stomache's eyeing up the paint chips in the corner.

I love it when we get the budget to online at Post Central in Rochester, NY. The editors can't figure out black levels to save their lives, but they have one hell of an on-sight chef, and full kitchen. Never enjoyed working through lunch that much!

And those instant coffee makers that are wired into the 160-degree water tap... uuuuoooooaahhh that's goooouuuud...

--------
will edit for food
--------

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jul 1, 2005 at 3:28:20 pm

Now along these lines. It has always been a practice to empty trash every evening to the outside so none of these stagnant ocors will eminate from the room.

Never ever place food or drinks on any desk or counter that contains equipment. I have always kept a small table behind me to hold coffee cup and any food items, just lean back and take a drink or bite. The clients have always had a nice area in the back out of the way of my rocking desk chair. I have to rock when previewing, or anytime I don't have my hands on the equipment. Their area has a nice monitor so they are not standing over my shoulder, a sofa, soft chair, tables, etc.

Now that I am in a corporate structure and not the main stream commercial suite, I have a room filled with all of our shooting equipment, all the editing equipment, everything in one small room. You wouldn't believe the difference in the now and the then.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Jul 3, 2005 at 12:13:57 am

And here I thought that mealtime was for rendering! I often need an excuse to stretch or eat or whatever, so rendering makes a great excuse. Or, if you are hiding the fact that you are rendering, lunch makes a good excuse.

Steven
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 / After Effects 6.5 Pro http://www.stevengotz.com
Learning Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 http://www.lynda.com
Contributing Writer, PeachPit Press, Visual QuickPro Guide, Premiere Pro 1.5

Return to posts index

Will Edit for Food
Rendering
on Jul 3, 2005 at 8:28:25 pm

[Steven L. Gotz] "And here I thought that mealtime was for rendering!"

Not too much anymore. With faster processing, you're lucky to get a smokebreak in before the render is done.

Remember the good 'ol days when one second = one frame rendered?

--------
will edit for food
--------

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
Re: Rendering
on Jul 3, 2005 at 10:29:18 pm

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh a little. Now that I edit HDV, rendering is a part of my life again. And the export times to WM9 are outrageous, even with Aspect HD and Premiere Pro 1.5.1 - somewhere around 12 times realtime on my 3GHz system.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 5, 2005 at 1:40:35 am

I count on daily rendering to get my daily exercise not to mention my COW browsing time - for those of us still using a G3 400 mhz machine, or even a Pentium 4 with a 20 video track Premiere Pro sequence, rendering is a given, and after 12 hours in front of the machine, a sweet blessing. Would I trade those breaks for a kick-butt new G5 or 3 gigahertz PC, you bet I would.

Mike

Return to posts index

reggie prescott
on Jul 5, 2005 at 2:21:03 pm

coffee refills or a stop at the outhouse is all i get with my renders. but i offline commercials. no longform or finishing.
kvl

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 6, 2005 at 1:48:42 pm

Since we're sharing images.... Back when I worked for a facility, here's the last "big" suite I built:
http://oliverpeters.com/facdes.htm check image #2 (Symphony)
Note the desk behind the editor. This is a client desk raised slightly and with a parallel set of flat panels duplicating the editor's displays. Also the edit desk was radiused AWAY from the center and not the typicaly "U" design. Both contributed to clients feeling very comfortable in "their area" and not constantly feeling the need to inch closer to the editor's chair.

Sincerely,
Oliver

Oliver Peters
Post-Production & Interactive Media
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]