FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Techniques training

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darcyana Moreno
Editing Techniques training
on Apr 6, 2005 at 6:38:47 pm

Hi, I am new to editing and I want to learn editing techniques that will improve my skills. I was looking for suggestions on types of training.

I bought some great books but I would like to know if there is any Editing training on DVD which shows the techniques and samples of different editing styles? Do you know any Editing techniques training on DVD or VHS?

I know I will learn to edit with time and experience but a visual training will help me to get started and to understand better this art form.

Please give suggestions,

Thanks,

Darcy

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Editing Techniques training
on Apr 7, 2005 at 2:51:11 pm

This is my stock answer to this common question, Darcy. Watch a really good movie with the sound off, and call out the shots out loud as you watch a scene. Watch soaps with the sound off and study the camera setups and the cutting. You will be getting free tutoring in technique by some of the best editors out there.

Return to posts index

plasma
on Apr 7, 2005 at 3:09:21 pm

i would say study what the books say about editing rules. then dive into it. editing is 90% intuition. if it feels right, then make the cut. if it throws you off, then try a different shot. today's NLE is very user friendly for trial and error editors. i would start by cutting a montage to a piece of music. this way, half the work is already done with rhythm and some structure. you just make the visuals work with it.
kvl

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Apr 12, 2005 at 12:30:00 pm

For your library I would highly recommend On Film Editing, Edward Dmytryk, Focal Press, 1984, if you can find it.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Apr 8, 2005 at 8:18:34 pm

Yes watch and read. Analyse the techniques you like to determine why they work for you. There are many books on the subject - but strangely few videos. I actually don't know of one.

Unfortunately few of the people I admire or try to emulate work in the same fields as I do.
The subject matter must be the primary guide. Form must follow function - the editing decisions should be motivated by the footage.

I do wedding video, dance video, training video and promotional video - I have an extensive set of "rules" that I follow for each genre. But the "rules" are constantly being refined, actually they are not really rules but rather elements of style.

Return to posts index

Jeremy
on Apr 11, 2005 at 10:59:03 pm

Darcy
There are a couple books I've gotten to peek into but not read cover to cover yet. These have been recommended to me in the past here on the cow. Bryce Button's Non Linear Editing and Walter Murch's "In the Blink of an Eye"

Watching without sound is a great idea to get started. Really pay attention to the form and try to see if the message/product/story is clear to you visually. Great editors can convey all these without any dialog/narration. (in my humble opinion) Also watch their techniques. I hate learning from books. Don't tell me when to insert a dissolve, show me a good example so I know how it "feels." Then I can put that into practise when I'm editing. It's like the previous folks have said. Once you get a grasp on some of the techniques just dive in with some footage...you'll learn quickly about what works and what doesn't feel "right"

Anyways...the short answer to your question is the first p`graph. Please excuse my ramblings. On a good wave of creativity lately :D

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Boshoff
on May 21, 2011 at 12:22:59 pm

Hello,
I am writing a research paper on the editing techniques and codes of Edward Dmytryk, Walter Murch and Richard Pepperman. I have found The 7 rules of Dmytryk as well as Murch's Rule of Six, but I am having trouble locating any information on Richard Pepperman.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can find information on Pepperman (or any information on any of these three for that matter) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

Richard Pepperman
on Nov 5, 2011 at 11:28:57 am

Hi Paul,
I'm here: rdpEditor@juno.com
Would be happy to be of help,
Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>