FORUMS: list search recent posts

L cuts/Jcut

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dse
L cuts/Jcut
by
on Sep 20, 2002 at 2:09:08 pm

Anyone have a SIMPLE explanation for these? Trying to teach beginners, and it seems like I need at least 50 words to describe it in the event that I can't show one. Makes me feel dumb, but there has got to be simple verbage that is just eluding me...help-?

Return to posts index

mark harvey
Re: L cuts/Jcut
on Sep 20, 2002 at 2:32:00 pm

Draw it....makes it really simple to explain with a diagram.
Regards
Mark

Return to posts index

Rick Gerard
on Sep 20, 2002 at 5:53:40 pm

J cut, sound precedes picture. Audio before video. You’re still looking at a scene and the sound from the next scene begins before the cut. The Graduate was one of the first features to use this technique extensively to transition between scenes. Dustin Hoffman in his car on the freeway, sound of knocking on the door, cut to door opening at the girlfriends apartment. The L cut is the other way around, you still hear the sound from the previous shot but you're all ready looking at the next shot. If you put a dissolve or other transition between the shots then it isn’t an L cut or a J cut anymore even though the sound may lead or follow picture.

Return to posts index

pixel - Roland R Kahlenberg
on Sep 23, 2002 at 1:36:48 pm

Good info Rick - as always. Thanks

What Douglas has to do FIRST is explain that audio and video are normally captured together. Without this knowledge, L and J cuts are pretty, if not impossible to grasp. Newbies who have never cut dramas will be pretty lost without an example.

In essence, they are a great way to extend, if not to fake, continuity when it isn't really there.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Diana R. Thompson
Re: L cut / J cut
on Sep 25, 2002 at 12:23:46 am

Doug,

As an instructor, I have experienced your dilemna. I searched the Internet and found a website that helped me, a newcomer to "Digital Land." The following definitions are from the Digital Video Glossary (common terms used in editing digital video processing) of Douglas Dixon's Manifest Technology web site
(http://www.manifest-tech.com/premiere/glossary-a-l.htm#J). They are not perfect, but they are helpful.

J-cut - A split edit in which the In point of a clip is adjusted to overlap the preceding clip, so that the audio portion of the later clip starts playing before its video as a lead-in to the visual cut. Also called an "audio lead." See L-cut.

L-cut - A split edit in which the audio Out point of a clip is extended beyond the video Out point, so that the audio cuts after the video and continues playing over the beginning of the next clip. See J-cut.

clip - A short piece of video and/or audio, often containing an individual scene. When creating a video project, you import clip files into bins in your Premiere project, and often trim longer clips into individual scenes. You then edit the clips together on the Timeline to play in sequential order to tell the "story" of your production, with transitions between clips and other added effects.

split edit - To adjust the video and audio portions of a clip separately so they start or end at different times. Used for audio cross-fading, so that the audio can lead in or fade out independently from the cut in the video. See L-cut and J-cut.

I hope this is helpful.

Diana

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Sep 25, 2002 at 4:26:04 pm

Why is it that definitions written by the teaching profession have to be so confusing. Rick's explanation was simple to the point and easy to understand. No offense Diana, just Rick's is much easier to comprehend. Remember the old adage, less is more.
Charlie

Return to posts index

Diana R. Thompson
on Sep 25, 2002 at 4:46:21 pm

Dear Charlie:

I appreciate your response. I agree that less is often more. If you know of a few good online glossaries, please list the URLs. Thank you.

The people who wrote the definitions on the Dixon/Manifest web site probably are not from the teaching profession. However, since there are many different learning styles, many students can benefit from the definitions there.

Diana

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Sep 25, 2002 at 5:04:45 pm

Nice volley Diana ! :)

Best,

Bob Bonniol

Creative Director
Mode Studios / Monarch Designs
http://www.monarchdesigns.com
Art of the Edit Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Sep 25, 2002 at 10:14:03 pm

Very good Diana. I had hoped my response would not be taken too harshly, it was not meant to be. YOu responded very well.
Charlie

Return to posts index

Kristen Maxwell
on Sep 26, 2002 at 8:12:24 pm

When I was in school, they taught these as "Audio Advance" and "Video Advance" cuts... I had never heard J and L before this post. To me, using an arbitrary letter abbreviation is only useful for shorthanding something after you already know it- it seems a bad way of teaching ideas. "Audio Advance" tells me that the audio of the next clip will come first, and "Video Advance" tells me that the image of the next clip will come first... so maybe that will help.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Sep 26, 2002 at 8:54:18 pm

Kristen, I'm with you actually. We have always referred to it as audio precedes video or video precedes audio. After waiting a day from reading the thread, I forget which was which on L and J. But hey, I'm just an old country boy from Texas that just kind of mosied into the big city Television Industry.
Charlie

Return to posts index

Kristen Maxwell
on Sep 27, 2002 at 10:19:12 pm

Heh, I guess us Texas country boys tend to think alike :) Now if I can only figure out what the he** I'm still doing in Oklahoma.....

Return to posts index

mitchino
on Sep 28, 2002 at 11:12:55 pm

They're called L and J cuts, not for some arbitary reason, but because they look like an 'L' and a 'J' on the timeline of any NLE. I think this is a good teaching method: Show students examples - The Graduate etc, then get then to recreate the same kind of thing. Show them that when they make an 'L' shape on the timeline, they get an 'L' cut and when they make a 'J' shape on the timeline, they get a 'J' cut. Keep it simple.

Mitch

Return to posts index

grinner
on Sep 30, 2002 at 2:29:52 pm

I think the simplest explanation of a split edit these days is pointing out why they are now called J and L cuts. They look like a J or an L on the timeline. This is where these new buzz words come from. I find once students learn what NLE is all about, they don't need these buzz words at all. They simply start audio where they think it sounds good and start video where it looks good. It's not like they'll ever have a producer setting behind them asking for an L cut. It's more like "How about just after that one guy says 'Buy now'". "Then the video?" "yeah, try that".

grin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]