FORUMS: list search recent posts

Favorite Score

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Favorite Score
on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:23:16 pm

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was listening to a movie soundtrack. What is your favorite movie soundtrack to listen to?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
Re: Favorite Score
on Aug 11, 2010 at 6:23:52 am

Not a movie soundtrack, but the soundtrack to the TV show "Twin Peaks" has always been a favorite.

Editor, Sound Designer, Stop-Motion Animator, Lighting, and Pack Mule

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:14:16 pm

I could listen to the Back to the Future soundtrack on repeat all day and have no problems. Guilty pleasure.

But when I was a kid I used to play the Jurassic Park theme music all the time because I was obsessed with that movie when I was 9.

And (sorry to throw another one out there!) in terms of popular music soundtracks as opposed to traditional scores, I was definitely that kid in high school who played the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, like, a lot.

They all still have a place in my heart.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:21:24 pm

There are a number of them, from the original Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk, to The Incredibles, to Star Wars, to The Right Stuff, to The Mission, to Rudy and Gladiator, to... there's a lot of them. Bill Conti, James Horner, John Williams, even some Mancini and Bacherach. And some Broadway musicals... not that there's anything WRONG with that... My ATT U-Verse service features a channel that is 24 hours of just movie sound tracks, pretty awesome.

But the last time I bought a sound track album on impulse, it was immediately after seeing The Incredibles; I went like a shot to the first store next to the theatre that sold a CD of it.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 11, 2010 at 4:30:26 pm

[Mark Suszko] "the last time I bought a sound track album on impulse, it was immediately after seeing The Incredibles;"

For me, it was The Fifth Element, another of my Desert Island picks. It doesn't sound much like a movie soundtrack - more like a Cirque de Soleil soundtrack - an intentionally pan-ethnic vibe, but with a lot more THUMP. I watched it again last week and marveled.

This may not count, but another movie on my DI list is Hard Day's Night. That thing had a HUGE impact on me as a viewer, and, later, as an aspiring shooter. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff. When I play the album, I think of the movie.

Otherwise, I have to give the title to Bernard Herrman's score for Taxi Driver. That's a record that stands the test of time, even if you haven't seen the movie. The culmination of a life of making beautiful music.

I should also note, there's a beautiful record of Yo-yo Ma playing Ennio Morricone scores. They collaborated on arrangements, and Morricone conducted the orchestra. To be honest, I've never been the biggest EM fan. I got it more for the idea of Yo-yo Ma playing something so lush, and boy howdy, does it work. It's called, appropriately enough, "Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone." It was remastered and re-released on July 20. Very, very much worth seeking out. You can get the MP3 version for 9.99 at Amazon.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 11, 2010 at 7:36:14 pm

This probably doesn't count but I have a two disk collection of John Williams which I love. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is great too.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:41:50 pm

I have to say. I loved the music in Inception. It packed such an emotional punch. The last song before the credits really did it for me. I could listen to it over and over.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
on Aug 19, 2010 at 1:37:00 am

Here's a vote for Gattaca. The movie was good, but Michael Nyman's score added a whole level of longing and intensity that wouldn't have come through otherwise. The score also stands completely on its own, even if you haven't seen the movie.

Other personal favorites include The Dark Knight, especially the Joker's theme; Titus, especially the opening scene (the mud-covered soldiers slowly marching); and La Cite des Enfants Perdus. Another, less-popular choice: the score from Punchline. There was a very fast, complex trumpet solo, if I remember correctly, that just captured the mood so perfectly.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:38:37 am

[Benjamin Reichman] "There was a very fast, complex trumpet solo, if I remember correctly, that just captured the mood so perfectly."

Now that you mention it, remember the soprano sax lines in Heaven Can Wait? That was an amazing score! In fact, it was nominated for an Oscar. Dave Grusin, who did a bunch of other great movie scores, incl. Tootsie, and wrote a BUNCH of tv themes and scores. He lost the Oscar to Giorgio Moroder, who in 1978 was a force of nature. The other "losers" that year: John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith. So there you go.

Anyway, Dave's score had some really haunting passages, and a couple of deeply emotional themese that are some of my favorite of all time.

I had forgotten until just now how much I love that movie. Nominated for 9 Oscars, and 4 of those were for Warren Beatty himself. (One was a shared nomination with Elaine May for the script.)

Great, great score that I'd have completely forgotten about without your post, Benjamin. Thanks! :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 16, 2010 at 3:04:55 am

1. Blade Runner
2. The Matrix (compilation from the first two films)
3. Firefly/Serenity (another compilation)
4. Fifth Element
5. Star Wars

In addition to those above, for in the car listening I'd add Oceans 11, and a compilation from Miami Vice (TV, not movie).

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 16, 2010 at 5:04:19 pm

1. Empire Strikes Back, especially the less well known themes. Everyone loves the Imperial March and the Asteroid Field. But Escape from Cloud City and the Finale themes are exciting and beautiful.

2. Dark Knight - without the music this movie would not have been as good.

3. Close Encounters

4. Schindler's List - not exactly listen in the car material, but the music really helped tell the story and evoke the emotions.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 16, 2010 at 11:02:17 pm

Let me throw two more logs on the fire of in the car, or guilty pleasures music.

Repo Man and Pulp Fiction

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 17, 2010 at 12:00:42 am

Great ones!

re: your earlier mention of Ocean's 11, agreed. I'm a huge fan of the guy who did that one, David Holmes. He was a wildly eclectic DJ who did an album in 1995 called "This Film's Crap, Let's Slash The Seats," very much with a soundtrack-y approach - a little techno, a little of what sounds like if Ennio Morricone did spy movies instead of Westerns, a vocalist who sounds like Julee Cruise - you get the idea. I think that a lot of folks on this thread would like that album.

(I also picked up the 1998 re-release with a second disk of remixes and outtakes.)

Among the record's fans: Danny DeVito, who commissioned Holmes to do the score for Soderbergh's Out of Sight - a way, way underrated movie.

After that, Holmes did a full-on soundtrack for an imaginary movie, called Bow Down To The Exit Sign. Very heavy dub, funk, drums'n'bass, soul, a crazy acid jazz/hip-hop update of "Compared to What," and more conventional scoring elements, mixed with snippets of dialogue from said imaginary movie. The CD notes unfold into a huge piece of paper with an amazingly thorough story treatment. It's quite remarkable.

DeVito hired him again for Ocean's 11 right after that, and the score for that one includes a few pieces from Bow Down. It also includes some pieces from another of Holmes's soundtrack-pieces, "Let's Get Killed." It's not the fully realized piece that Bow Down is, but some of its tracks (notably, "Rodney Yates," which is playing as Clooney's Danny walks out of prison) are a wonderful fit.

Part of what made the soundtrack to O11 so compelling was in fact that DJ side of his skills - he has a fantastic ear for tracks, and can weave them together in surprising and delightful ways. In the end, that may be what makes his ACTUAL soundtracks his favorite work, but his imaginary ones are worth looking into, too.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 18, 2010 at 3:16:37 pm

Not that it's a favorite, but moreso that I downloaded it over this past weekend is why I'm mentioning it. Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) and music producer Atticus Ross did the brilliant score for The Social Network, and I thought it was perfectly used in the film, but now I know that it also works awesomely as a stand-alone album. Very dark, mostly very sad, yet a lot of it still has the industrial tempo you'd expect from someone like Trent Reznor.

I believe the rest of it is original work, and is darker than this, but here's what they did with "In the Hall of the Mountain King" for a fantastic rowing sequence in the film:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/TPZtigbbkz4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/TPZtigbbkz4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]