FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Other Guys

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
The Other Guys
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:12:15 pm

Saw the new Will Ferrell movie The Other Guys yesterday, it was a welcome change from Dinner for Schmucks last weekend, mainly because Other Guys was actually funny.

I enjoy Adam McKay films, I think he is legitimately funny, and I think he has earned the reputation now knowing that if you like Will Ferrell being a loud, dumb person in a funny movie, McKay will definitely make you laugh. There is nothing really new here in terms of what McKay/Ferrell are up to, but I want to keep liking these guys, because in terms of straight faced nonsensical comedy intertwined with yelling and scenery destruction, I can't think of anyone better right now.

I know a lot of people are probably sick of Will Ferrell and his often one note style of acting/comedy (with maybe Stranger Than Fiction being the exception), but I like to think about it this way, take any Will Ferrell movie, and imagine if you saw it in 2004 (when Anchorman came out) before he became overexposed, and chances are the movie will appear as if it's really funny. I was talking to some friends over the weekend who said they wouldn't see The Other Guys because they are "sick of Will Ferrell", but these are the same people who consider Anchorman to be one of the funniest movies of the last 10 years (most people in their 20s do). I don't feel like Will Ferrell has gotten any less funny, he's more or less the same level of funny as he was 5 years ago, I just think he's got a bad stigma now that he has been in a dozen movies since. Or you could have just never liked him from the beginning!

But if I had to rank this movie somewhere in Will Ferrell's resume, I'd put it somewhere over the halfway mark, in positive territory. Definitely worth a trip to the theater if you find McKay's stuff funny, worth a rent if down the line for sure. Mark Wahlberg is surprisingly good in a straight up comedy as well. And Samuel L Jackson and the Rock are a riot as the over-the-top super cops, I was definitely not expecting them to be as funny as they were. Good movie overall I thought.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Other Guys
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:13:13 pm

I didn't think Anchorman was all that great, but I really enjoyed "Stranger Than Fiction" and his NASCAR sendup.
Stranger than Fiction is an awesome date movie and that dating scene where he brings the flowers and plays the Wreckless Eric song... well.... lets just say.... good date movie. Yep.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 13, 2010 at 8:26:17 pm

I only have time to see one or the other in the theater. The Other Guys or Inception? Its fun to see a comedy with a large group of people, laughing can be contagious. Everyone says Inception is awesome and has special effects I have to see on the big screen. I'm leaning towards Inception. What do you think?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 13, 2010 at 8:31:13 pm

Yeah I liked The Other Guys a lot, but I'd definitely go see Inception if picking between the two. Inception is just better overall, and I don't think The Other Guys will lose too much on the small screen if you wait for a home rental.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 16, 2010 at 1:59:46 pm

Got tickets for the imax Inception over the weekend. Thanks Scott. It was Awesome!!!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:07:04 pm

I'm a big fan of cop movies and was very excited to see The Other Guys on Blu-Ray thanks to the Redbox. Anyways, laughed a lot. The cops at the elementary school really made me laugh. The Rock and Samuel Jackson where awesome. But I have to say, I got so tiered of Mark Wahlberg yelling all the time. Also, <> I was not happy with the way they ended the film. I like it when the "hero" out smarts the bad guy when it looks like there is just no way for the hero to win. Die Hard for example, tape a gun to your back type of stuff. That is what made that charter a hero, because he outsmarted the bad guys. Instead our two heros just get shot and then they needed to get their butts saved by the same people who where coming to arrest them. I don't know if I built this movie up in my mind as one of the coolest of the year and was disappointed when it wasn't (set the bar higher then it should have been) or if it just was an Okay film.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]