FORUMS: list search recent posts

Star Wars in Concert

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Star Wars in Concert
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:36:28 pm

Last night we saw Star Wars in Concert. Featuring a full orchestra, choir, movie clips synchronized to the music, lasers, and C3PO himself, Anthony Daniels introducing each song. It was awesome. The crowd's response was amazing and added to the experience. There were families with young kids, middle aged folks like myself without kids and a good helping of folks over 60 for good measure. A few moms were dressed as Princess Leia (Alderann, not Slave) and lots of kids in costumes. They also had a handful of Imperial stormtroopersn Vader and Boba Fett costumed people walking around, and a display of costumes including one of my favorites Kit Fisto.
After the encore of Imperial March the crowd erupted - you would think it was a Led Zep reunion! Overall a great celebration of a great movie saga.
Mike Cohen

Ps - as usual Chewie gets neglected - he never got his own theme song. He finally got his medal but he needs a theme. Let's start a petition!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Star Wars in Concert
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:45:49 pm

Back in the days of the Old Republic, before the Dark Times, before the Empire... in that long interregnum after the film release but before the movie came out on VHS and Betamax or LaserDisk, all you had after the movie left town was the soundtrack album of awesome music, and some printed stills to remember it by. My needle wore trenches right thru both sides of the vinyl, I re-ran it so often, and watched along in my head. There was also a "Story of" record set, with narration linking sound clips of the main scenes together... that "Theater of the Mind" was almost as good as seeing the movie again. And the NPR radio serializations... MAN, those are great, you should try one on some time, on the old ipod. Well, off I go to Tashi Station, gotta pick up some power converters...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:12:52 pm

Thanks for the memories Mark. A lot of people think they remember the cut scenes of Luke at Toshi Station from the movie, because the pictures were in the storybook and record set which were published before the final edit. They are interesting scenes actually and can be found on YouTube. Legend has it that an entire alternate cut of A New Hope exists in the Lucasfilm vault - it has only been seen by a few in Lucas' inner sanctum, David West Reynolds and Steve Sansweet, and probably Jocasta Nu. And I agree the NPR radio dramas were amazing - scenes not included in the movies and more fleshed out dialogue in many scenes. I have them all on cassette - I believe it was the Star Wars radio drama that gave NPR its first wide audience in the late 70's - and of course Prairie Home Companion which itself pays weekly homage to radio drama.
But it is amazing in hinsight - you would see the movie once, (after waiting in line for hours (back then we did not have multiplexes))then again at Christmas when it came around for an encore. Then like Mark said, the storybooks and soundtracks and truncated story records and tapes were the movie. So when the VHS came out it was like seeing it for the first time. But then when the letterbox VHS came out it was again like seeing it for the first time.

Obi-Mike Coheni

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jul 25, 2010 at 6:04:32 pm

I remember the first time I heard the Star Wars main theme live. It was played by the school's band. It was great. Hearing the themes played again in SW in Concert was a great experience too.

Movies used to take at leas a full year to come to my country. I remember hearing the rumor in school that LukeĀ“s father was Darth Vader (Ops, I hope this is not a spoiler =P). I remember saying "no way, you shouldn't believe that kind of gossip". Then, months later, I heard the shocking true from the cold metal lips of Lord Vader. Now, I never underestimate a gossip.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 16, 2010 at 11:18:25 pm

Mark,
"...before the movie came out on VHS and Betamax or LaserDisk, all you had after the movie left town was the soundtrack album of awesome music, and some printed stills to remember it by. My needle wore trenches right thru both sides of the vinyl, I re-ran it so often, and watched along in my head. There was also a "Story of" record set, with narration linking sound clips of the main scenes together... that "Theater of the Mind" was almost as good as seeing the movie again..."

Been there, done that. We must be the same age.
The 'Story of...' records and the soundtrack, were not quite enough. I was fortunate enough to own a cassette based mono dictation recorder, which was small by the standards of the day. Small enough to sneak into the theater and record the audio on a couple of C60's. That was livin' large.
We were lucky enough to have Star Wars play for months that summer at the Cooper in Denver, which probably had the biggest screen between St. Louis and LA. A house built to show 3 projector Cinerama. How many times did we go to see it? Jeez, I lost count. The audio recordings filled in the dark time between showings.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]