FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tron Legacy

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Tron Legacy
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:33:14 pm

Not much else to say. :-) Watch it full screen.

Can't embed this one, but well worth following the link. It was just released yesterday to the nerds at Comic-Con, and I like it a whole lot. Likewise, watch full screen.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Tron Legacy
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:50:32 pm

Saw the trailer before Inception - awesome - finally a movie with motivated use of CGI - a movie that takes place inside a computer made with a computer.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:38:30 pm

That one is worth the extra money to see in a real theatre experience. But Disney hasn't had that great a track record on scripts lately, it could look awesome but play awful, can't tell from just the trailer.

/End of line.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:10:04 pm

I never saw the original Tron before maybe a month ago, and I liked parts of it, but I imagine it was way cooler when it actually came out because of the top notch special effects of the time. That's why I'm pretty excited about this new one, it looks really cool! I almost don't care if the story is bad (I almost expect it to be based on the original, sorry) if it makes up for it with amazing visuals (and hopefully good 3D...).

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 25, 2010 at 7:06:56 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I never saw the original Tron before maybe a month ago, and I liked parts of it, but I imagine it was way cooler when it actually came out because of the top notch special effects of the time."

There's a sense in which it was viewed as kind of silly at the time. It's stiff, overwrought, and kind of flat.

More than just the effects, though, I think it was the sense that you had really been sucked into a world of technology that was more beneath your feet than up in the sky. Kind of like The Matrix in reverse. There's still never been a story quite like it, and certainly not told in nearly an endearing way.

Some of that was because of the uncanny ability of Jeff Bridges to be Everyman. I was in my 20s when Tron first came out, and I *identified* with the guy. I imagined what *I* would be doing in that situation.

Data point: when the first new Tron footage was shown at last year's Comic Con, there was a bigger roar for a few frames of Jeff's face than there were for the light cycles.

Not that the effects weren't part of the draw. Even if they weren't entirely successful, they were exhilarating as much because they were personal as because they were spectacular. It's quite easy to see that that are anything but spectacular.

I believe that this is why far, far more people became VFX creators because of Tron than Star Wars...which is (in the first two-and-a-half movies) one the great feats of human storytelling...but doesn't tend to pull *YOU* into this world. Compare this to the response to even Avatar - did anybody say, Wow, I'd really love to live in Tatooine and never leave! No. Anyway, I'm not kidding. For guys in their 40s and 50s in particular, Tron is IT.

This is my opinion, anyway.

For a broader view, go to Netflix and rent the second disc of the deluxe edition. A remarkable insight into a movie that really did change a lot of things.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Sal Sainvil
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:26:42 pm

What's up with Hollywood's obsession with the word...Woa! lol..
well, the formula of 3D effects and Neon lighting worked great for The "where are they now" smurf movie. lol
Should be a box office hit.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jul 25, 2010 at 5:53:37 pm

I remember one of the greatest things about the original Tron were the games. As a kid you kind of follow the story, but the motorcycles and the flying disk fights... Wow!

I think I'll open my Atari emulator right now. See ya.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]