FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remakes

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Remakes
on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:20:22 pm

With all of the remakes I'm wonder how long it will take till we see Alf, Quantum Leap, Chips and Voltron. :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Remakes
on Jul 20, 2010 at 9:33:35 pm

Haha, I'd only see an Alf remake if it was hard-R. Hey, you never know, apparently they are actually making "mature" versions of Pee-Wee's Playhouse and (!) Fraggle Rock...

And somehow, I can see all of the movies you listed above being remade with Will Ferrell at some point. Will Ferrell-headed Quantum Leap doesn't seem that far fetched! (didn't say it would be good)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 20, 2010 at 11:36:45 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I'd only see an Alf remake if it was hard-R"

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 21, 2010 at 3:16:47 pm

Haha, that got slightly disturbing and awkward in the 2nd half... I don't know why, but it made me really want a David Lynch directed Alf movie now. Something like Eraserhead meets the Muppet Show.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 21, 2010 at 10:50:04 pm

[Scott Roberts] "...that got slightly disturbing and awkward in the 2nd half..."

And that's just from Season 1. I linked to it because it's the most accessible for the novice to appreciate, but having gone there once, check out the rest. They definitely got even more disturbing and awkward as they went on.

Four seasons, 101 episodes - can you imagine? No disrespect intended - I enjoyed it - but I didn't remember it was on that long.

Although you'd never guess it from the results, the set was often a truly unpleasant place to be. The kind of shocking details are here, starting with the revelation that each half-hour took 20-25 hours to shoot.

David Lynch is a good idea, but I'm slightly more inclined to go with Fincher, in the vein of Fight Club.

This is an interesting topic, though. There were some good movies made from TV shows, but the list is pretty short. I'm not counting the original ST movies, with the same casts as the TV series, or something like Serenity, the fast follow-up to Firefly, but last year's Star Trek movie was killah. This summer's A-Team was my second-favorite movie of the year, a huge jump beyond a TV show I didn't care about.

(The new favorite movie of the year- Despicable Me! Immediately on to my Desert Island list.)

Mission: Impossible was pretty good. The Brady Bunch was intentionally a goof, but the joke wore itself out long before the movie ended. Past that, nothing's coming to mind. You fellers have any ideas?

I actually thought of a couple of good series that improved on the original movies - The Odd Couple, and even more so, M*A*S*H....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2010 at 3:17:04 pm

Voltron, the movie, done in the manner of Transformers, is in pre-production, I've read.

A live action movie of Bubblegum Crisis has been in pre-pro hell for a couple of years now; don't know if I should anticipate it or dread it. Depends on how hot the girls look in their power armor suits, I guess...:-)

Live action Star Blazers (Yamato) releases in December, I think, and the promo teaser trailer looks dead-on perfect.

Re-booted Star Trek number 2, a sequel to the Search for Lens Flares, is in pre-prod right now, about a year or so away from release.

I would love to see a remake of Battleship Potempkin. Either straight, original period setting, or a grafting of the Potempkin story to an updated contemporary or sci fi setting. I'd also like to see a remake of The Fountainhead, with a better script that made sense.

The trailers for the Seth Rogan Green Hornet movie look by turns painful and awesome. But I think that's intentional.

Looking forward to seeing what they do on the new Hawaii 5-0, which likely will be a failure, because it's set in contemporary time with way-too-youthful-looking kid cops. Grace Park, AKA "Boomer" from the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, takes over a gender-bent version of the role of Chin Ho. Speaking of Hawaii, there's a Magnum PI reboot in development, I don't think I'd want to see that as I liked the original too much to let go.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:58:27 pm

I'm actually excited for The Green Hornet, I've watched every episode of the show on Me-Too TV (or something like that) AND I'm a fan of Seth Rogan. I was a little dissapointed that they couldn;t get Stephen Chow from Kung Fu Soccer as Kato, but based on the trailer, the guy they got seems fine. Plus Michel Gondry ain't too shabby a director!

In terms of TV shows that were remade into good movies... Twilight Zone: the Movie comes to mind? I actually liked that movie. It's probably not much of an improvement on the show (I'm sure it isn't), but I saw it when I was a kid and liked it, and saw it maybe a year ago again and still liked it.

I also liked the Addams Family movies (both of them) and personally thought they were an improvement over the show (but I'm not really a fan of the show).

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:20:54 am

Pee-Wee herman used to be a throw back to kids shows for adults...before it actually became a kids show. If you look around you can find the HBO special of it. Now it's a broadway show, which may mean a reboot if it becomes popular. Personally, I would like to see "David Lynch's Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie" as a remake.

Editor, Sound Designer, Stop-Motion Animator, Lighting, and Pack Mule

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 26, 2010 at 2:07:40 pm

I remember in middle school my friend found a copy of the Pee-Wee Herman Show, or I think it was called that. Anyways, it was a live show that was adult-orented with Phil Hartman as Kap'n Karl. The VHS box said it was made before any of the other Pee-Wee films or shows.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:53:00 pm

The Pee-Wee Herman timeline is hard to follow now, because it all happened so quickly - and started 30 years ago! It started on stage in 1980 (The Pee-Wee Herman Show), then a one-off HBO special, then the movie (directed by Tim Burton - his first feature!!), and THEN came the CBS morning show, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, starting in 1986.

Phil Hartman (one of my comedy heroes) was on for 4 episodes in 86 and 87.

Also on for 4 episodes: Laurence Fishburne as Cowboy Curtis.

Rob Zombie was a production assistant.

Truly remarkable stuff.

The Pee-Wee Herman Show opens on Broadway Oct. 26, at the Stephen Sondheim Theater, an updated revival of the original stage play that also combines elements from Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

I guess the question is, after adult-oriented stage work, a movie directed by the young Tim Burton, and a kids show on acid, how much weirder can a remake get? Well, I suppose we're about to find out....

The Pee-Wee Herman Show

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 2, 2010 at 2:15:20 pm

[Tim]
Past that, nothing's coming to mind. You fellers have any ideas?

Okay, so this isn't a TV show or a re-make, but I would love to see a third Men in Black. I thought the first one was really good.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 2, 2010 at 2:41:48 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I would love to see a third Men in Black."

aka MIB 3D, Principal photography starts next month. It starts when Agent J uses his iPhone to travel back to 1969 to prevent K's murder. I thought the second one was better than the first in a lot of ways, and I really enjoyed the first, so I'm looking forward to this.

Details here.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 2, 2010 at 2:48:11 pm

Tim,
You rock, thanks for the heads up. I can't wait for it to come out.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:18:46 pm

Speaking of remakes. I saw an ad button on IMDB for Yogi Bear. I wonder if he will steal someone's picnic basket?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2010 at 1:09:02 am

Saw a sample of Dan Akroyd doing the worst Yogi voice EVER. Dawes Butler in his present condition could do better. Why stunt-cast a famous actor to just be a CGI voice, when he's not even doing his own voice?

That is not smarter than... well.... you know.....

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:18:15 pm

I'm guessing the Yogi Bear remake will be about as brilliant and memorable as the Marmaduke remake from earlier this year. Look out National Film Registry!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]