FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downloading movies that are no longer in print

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis McLellan
Downloading movies that are no longer in print
on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:21:41 pm

I had a discussion with a coworker about this topic. He is apparently involved with some website that "trades" old movies that aren't released on DVD or are very hard to find. I think it's a touchy subject. My and I are the type of people who buy at least a movie or two every paycheck,so it's not that he wouldn't buy it... he can't. While I think it's wrong to download media, software, games ect. because that's where people's paycheck comes from, at the same time, is it ok to give a free pass if it's not out there for sale? BTW he has bought movies that he's downloaded that ended up for sale.

Thoughts on this?

Editor, Sound Designer, Stop-Motion Animator, Lighting, and Pack Mule

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Downloading movies that are no longer in print
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:11:08 pm

I completely agree with this, that what's the big deal with downloading if it's not available for purchase. I personally don't see anything morally wrong with this. I even have a friend who sometimes downloads independent films that don't play in theaters around him, because they don't get the release they deserve. Then when he likes the movie, he eventually buys it on DVD when it gets released. But if it were made available to him at a theater he would actually prefer to watch it in a theater, so he's put in an annoying and difficult situation.

But downloading Avatar or Sorcerer's Apprentice or something easily available on DVDs or theater, well, that's just cheap and not fair to the people who make those films.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Downloading movies that are no longer in print
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:20:43 pm

I am on the same page. Legally it doesn't appear to hold water, look at the legal problem Google Books is going through trying to offer the same argument for the books market. However, the studios need to move with the times. My wife loves this Christmas movie called "The Christmas List" which was a made for TV movie. I want to buy it for her as an early Christmas present but it looks like my only options are to buy it online or tape it (But I don't have DVR and it only rarely plays).

I mean the least they could do is put it on Netflix, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]