FORUMS: list search recent posts

Worst Summer for Movies in Recent Memory?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Worst Summer for Movies in Recent Memory?
on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:51:14 pm

I haven't been to the theater in over two weeks! I consider that to be a major drought in how I normally operate... There just isn't anything that good playing in theaters. It doesn't seem like anything is that great on the horizon either (except Inception and Scott Pilgrim). What happened to all the summer tent-pole movies that are supposed to linger around and cause waves? Maybe they are here, but are getting so critically thrashed that they lose the tent-pole value (Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Knight and Day, etc). Iron Man 2 and Toy Story 3 have really been the only two MAJOR releases this summer, and Iron Man was 2 months ago. A-Team was a nice surprise, but it hardly made any money and is probably considered a bust. It's not cool when Twilight is the biggest movie out right now.

I can't think of a year when I have been so bummed out at lack of movies I want to see since, I don't know, maybe the late 90s! I'm looking forward to Inception in two weeks, and just to tide myself over, I'll probably see the new Predator movie this weekend (though I don't have high hopes, Adrian Brody and Topher Grace as bad-ass mercenaries...? OK...? Those guys weigh like 200 lbs combined).

There are some independent films that I want to see like Cyrus, Restrepo, and Winnebago Man, but of course they don't get any theater space at any theater near me because there must be some great need to have Grown Ups play on 3 screens, and still save a screen for (!) Prince of Persia, Really?! Still?! Why?!?!

I know there are some "big" movies out right now that are making money like Grown Ups, Twilight, Karate Kid, and (for some reason people are seeing it despite having the worst reviews of the year and an 8% on Rotten Tomatoes) The Last Airbender, but where's the appeal on any of this stuff...?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Worst Summer for Movies in Recent Memory?
on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:05:15 pm

The Twilight movies have been good for ticket sales but bad for cinema - they likely will cause studios to fund more fantasy but with poor writing and acting.

3D is going to have the same effect - we will see more 3D without any rhyme or reason. Just wait, we will see a period movie like Wuthering Heights in 3D.

Harry Potter 17 is going to be in 3D - are they shooting it that way? Doubt it.

Look what has happened with CG animated movies. Up is good, Shrek IV likely not very good, Madagascar 8 likely really bad. What's that, "those moves are for kids" - yes, but animated movies tend to do pretty well because there are so few movies to take kids to, not always because they are good movies. Who should care? The artists!

If I were running Dreamworks or Sony or Warner Bros, I would make sure that there is a Tent Pole movie in the works for every July and Every Christmas Day - there are plenty of good ideas out there.

Can I interest anyone in an IMAX version of "Hip Replacement Surgery?" It's got lots of blood!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]