FORUMS: list search recent posts

A-Team: "Overkill is underrated"

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
A-Team: "Overkill is underrated"
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:12:59 am

That's one of my favorite lines in the movie I've enjoyed more than any in recent memory. Among the fastest paced movies I've ever seen that retained its desired level of cogency...which, here, is admittedly a relative thing. Not to dang it with faint raise, though. My praise for it is unreserved and unqualified. And for an adrenalized action pitcher, plenty cogent. Again, not to dang with faint praise. One of the things I loved most was how sharp it was, and how little energy was wasted. It had an actual script!

I'll maybe think about this some more and come up something cogent myself, but for now, am basking in the glow of a wonderful afternoon at the talkies. Or "blowie-uppies" as the case may be. And hoo-wee! Stuff did sure blow up. Dang!

tw

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: A-Team: "Overkill is underrated"
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:43:25 pm

I wasn't expecting much, and I ended up really enjoying it! It was actually one of the better movies of 2010 so far, if by better I mean simply entertaining. I'm pretty good at being able to shut my mind off during action movies and just have fun with it, and this movie was really fun, and funny. The guy from District 9 who played Murdock was hilarious, and I got some satisfaction for some reason from watching Liam Neeson having a seemingly fun time acting in a movie I assumed he would consider himself to be "above" participating in.

Based on the commercials I thought the action scenes were going to be stupid and over the top, but they ended up being, again, really fun and over the top. If you haven't noticed by my over-use of the word, I thought The A-Team was really fun. I was thoroughly entertained the whole time. The only action scene I didn't like was a brief sequence near the end involving cargo containers and Face. But I thought the whole opening sequence was really great.

I never watched the A-Team TV series, so I had no stake in whether it was destroying a beloved fragment of my childhood or anything, like the Karate Kid remake that also came out this weekend. And although I'm hearing the new Karate Kid as actually decent, I still refuse to see it. I don't really like wishing negative things too much, but I really wanted the new Karate Kid to either flop in the box office or get terrible reviews, and it ended up doing neither... Bummer...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:59:43 pm

This is good to hear, I was looking forward to the film because I watched the show as a kid but thought it might end up real bad. Thanks for the reviews.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:29:18 pm

I used to watch the show a lot on TV when I was younger. It gave me inspiration. I would watch it and asy: "That show is really a bunch of crap; look at (faults x,y,and z), I KNOW I could make something better than that if I tried".

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:47:42 pm

Last night while flipping through channels ( I am a born-again channel surfer since I upgraded to DirecTV HD ) I discovered that George Lopez has his own late night show on TBS. The cool thing about the episode I watched is that after the monologue, he has one guest for the whole hour. Last night he had the cast of the A-Team - what a fun group. They all acknowledged that they were paying homage to the original actors and they clearly had a great time making the film. Then they went on to have fun with paintball guns and they selected guys from the audience to get Mohawk haircuts. This show made me realize how Letterman and Leno shortchange their guests. You can only do so much with a 7 minute appearance on a late night show.
After seeing this Lopez appearance, I want to go see the A-Team just because I feel like these guys are my friends.

And the movie looks like a lot of fun. And if Tim Wilson likes something...

What a great thing it must be to be able to make a fun silly movie, get paid handsomely for it, and know that you will be a big star because of it with guaranteed future work.

Should Liam Neeson have been in the A-Team? Well, he has already been in Darkman, Star Wars, Batman - I would say he has a record of being in blockbuster Summer movies, as well as being a very good serious actor(Schindler's List among others).

The other guys are relatively new on the scene, but all with some solid performances, to say nothing of District 9 catapulting the career of an unknown actor.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:51:35 pm

The only episode of the show I ever saw was the night before my wedding, with my soon-to-be father-in-law and wife, eating room service burgers while waiting for the rest of the family to show up. A lovely memory, but I certainly have no investment in the original.

[Mike Cohen] "And if Tim Wilson likes something..."

Well, thanks, but I like a stuff that's frankly pretty bad for you. I just saw Sherlock Holmes last night, and thought it was virtually perfect in every way. I hope they make a bunch of 'em.

[Mike Cohen] "Should Liam Neeson have been in the A-Team? Well, he has already been in Darkman, Star Wars, Batman..."

I would also add "Taken," which was a big-time surprise hit. More than anything, I think that that may be what made him so appealing to the producers. He has more than established his bona fides as an action star, but he also gave his parts of the picture both gravity and heart...when he wasn't beating somebody's ass.

BTW, I was floored by how much I loved Taken. I wasn't expecting anything at all, but it was really solid.

Also BTW, I saw Liam and Laura Linney on Broadway, in "The Crucible." Absolutely heart-wrenching. Almost more intense than anybody can stand. I was in agony as Laura was clapped in irons to be taken to jail, with Liam standing by helplessly, knowing he was partly responsible...when somebody's cell phone rang, playing "The Mexican Hat Dance"!!!! I give her and Liam all the credit in the world for not only keeping focus, but for not jumping into the audience and beating that guy's ass.

Anyway, Liam was a wonderful part of the A-Team experience. I'm glad that the A-Team guys hhave as much fun with each other off screen as they appeared to in the movie. Great observation about talk shows too, Mike....

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:15:48 pm

I agree, Taken was amazing! It was like they watched every mediocre kidnap/rescue movie ever made, analyzed what made them forgettable, then created Taken with the spirit of improving everything about the genre. I think that movie is universally loved amongst all of my friends.

I mean if you forget about the Phantom Menace, Liam Neeson is a pretty great action star. But I never think of him that way, probably because of the powerful impact Schindler's List left in my brain. That role alone most likely makes me think of him drama first, action second.

But that would have been great if his Taken instincts kicked in and he swiftly and painfully removed the cell phone from that guy in the audience... ...along with his arm...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 16, 2010 at 2:06:48 am

[Scott Roberts] "
But that would have been great if his Taken instincts kicked in and he swiftly and painfully removed the cell phone from that guy in the audience... ...along with his arm..."

And then beat his ass with it. :-)

I forgot until I just checked IMDb that he's done even MORE action than I first recalled, or action-ish - Rob Roy, Les Mis, Gangs of New York (killah), Kingdom of Heaven, the Laurence Olivier part in "Clash of the Titans," and of course The Simpsons.

[Scott Roberts] "I mean if you forget about the Phantom Menace"

Phantom Menace? What's THAT? I have no recollection of what you're talking about.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 18, 2011 at 4:48:12 pm

I finally got to see the A-Team and had a great time. I think we need to pass some law where buildings need to be built with lots of glass. I loved that scene in the glass buildings. Need to get somewhere fast, just shoot up the glass walls. Glass shattering everywhere...I loved it. I also really digged the tank part as well, it really was a lot of creative fun. When I end up in a flying tank I'll know what to do. :-)

One thing I did not catch, why was B.A. in Mexico? What did he do to get in trouble so the guys had his van?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:13:34 pm

I don't think they ever did explain it, I think it just got stolen or something while he was working for the military, and he tracked it down in Mexico.

I liked the tank flying scene too, one of the more memorable scenes. Murdock stole the show though. He almost had a Robin Williams level of spastic character changing and impressions.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:43:08 pm

As far as I can tell, Face was being held by General Tuco for messing with his wife. One of my favorite bits is Face, about to be burned to death in flaming tires, winds up rolling down the hill trying to escape.

Hannibal is in Mexico to rescue Face, but is being held by police on Tuco's payroll, and succeed only when BA comes to rescue them both. It's BA's van, presumably driven down from the US.

They get out of Mexico by springing Murdock from an Army "hospital," which is the only part (ahem) that seemed stretched. I get that Face followed a woman to Mexico, and that Hannibal and BA came to rescue him - but what was Murdock doing there?

Hard to believe that this was the only part of the movie that made no sense to me, but it otherwise held up as a cracker-jack bit of big budget mayhem. A lot of fun, without an ounce of the mean spirit that is so common these days. An unapologetic delight. A good time is had by all.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:51:06 pm

Tim, by the way. When I heard the line "Overkill is underrated" in the movie I looked at my wife and said, " I want that quote on my FaceBook page." Loved it. I'm glad you put it in the title.

As for B.A., he did not know Face or Hannibal. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time to help out. I personally think the movie should have just started with them in the Middle East. Then we would only assume they where assigned together because they are the best at what they do.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:56:22 pm

Saw it this weekend on redbox dvd. It was worth the 99 cent redbox price, I guess, but frankly I was disappointed. Oh, it had the same terrible plot and acting as the Cannell original TV show, and in this one, the bullets actually hit and kill people... but the script was quite a muddle, and the subplot of face taking over planning for Hannibal was not well-done or needed. Agreed, the tank in the air thing was a hoot, but the movie trailers gave that away and there wasn't really anything as good in the movie bedsides that. Carnahan is an expert director of action sequences, but I need a good script to connect the "pew-pew-pew" segments together, or I'm not happy.

I did ( I think) catch an easter egg of sorts:

in the fake 3-d movie being played to the mental patients, if you look hard you'll read a screen credit to "Reginald Barclay". Reg Barclay was a character in Star Trek, The Next Generation, played by Dwight Shultz, who was the original Murdock character in the original TV A-team.

I don't know what is more sad: that I still know that trivia and noticed it, or that somebody went to the (paid) work to put that in the movie.

:-)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:06:39 pm

Mark, I thought you where going to say the easter egg was Mr. T. rapping at the start. Or at least it sounded like him. I wish they would have had the Mr. T Flavor Wave Oven Turbo Infomercial on in the background. Have you seen it...it is funny.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]