FORUMS: list search recent posts

Get Him to the Greek, and Splice

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Get Him to the Greek, and Splice
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:16:01 pm

I made up for avoiding Prince of Persia and not seeing anything Memorial Day weekend by seeing two films this past weekend. And for the record, I will continue to avoid Prince of Persia (and all video game movies) until someone can finally do something worthwhile. But thus far, no genre has failed so epically, and so consistently as video game adaptations have.

But the first movie I saw this weekend was Get Him to the Greek, which is a spin-off of the great 2008 comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's a spin off because it features the same british rock star character from Sarah Marshall, but other than one comical cameo joke, there is no real connection other than that (well, and it's directed by the same guy too). While Greek was very funny (actually hysterically funny) in parts, the whole thing seemed very uneven as it tried to balance humor and seriousness like every other "Apatowian" (I think I just made up a word!) comedy released in the 2000s (including Sarah Marshall, who did it perhaps the best), but Greek didn't do it quite as successfully. In the end though, the insanely excessive sex/drugs/rock n roll party scenes were easily the best and most entertaining parts of the movie, and to try and kid everyone into thinking this movie is more than just an absurd party comedy seemed forced. But I applaud them for the effort, as my favorite comedies of the past decade have pretty much all been the one's that attempted to be a balance of comedy and drama, OR the one's that were so absurdly comedic that any attempt at drama would be laughable in itself (see: Black Dynamite). But Get Him to the Greek failed slightly overall in its attempt at the mix. This doesn't give anything away, but there is a scene near the end of the film where Jonah Hill has to smile at his new friend in an attempt at a genuine moment, and it was the most uncomfortably forced attempt at a heartfelt moment I may have ever seen. It's a shame though, because there are some scenes in this movie that really are just incredibly funny. Just saying in this case, I think I would have rather had it been nothing but mindlessly absurd craziness.

Then I also saw the new sci-fi/borderline horror film Splice. It's the one about scientists Adrian Brody and Sarah Polley creating a hybrid of human and many animal genetics to create a new species in an attempt to find cures to diseases, or something along those lines. This is one of those movies in particular that you have to just shut your mind off when they start talking about the science of anything they do, as you can just tell everything is complete B.S. But if you just pretend that, yeah, pushing a few buttons and pouring a few test tubes and seeing numbers on a computer screen in science-related montages are all legit, then it makes the movie watchable. I must say, I was thoroughly entertained for the first hour of this movie, it was actually quite riveting. But then characters start to do abrupt and random things that are contrary to how they had already been developed, in addition to the fact that there is a clear shift near the end of the film from sci-fi to straight-up horror, and the movie ends up losing its appeal overall. Plus there are some moments in the third act that are David Lynch levels of bizarre (which I normally would like, but I really didn't here, they felt out of place and almost laughable). Might be worth a watch if you are at all interested in this kind of movie. Or just watch the first hour and make up the rest in your head. But like Get Him to the Greek, I can't deny it was at least a nice effort.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Get Him to the Greek, and Splice
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:29:59 pm

There is just an amazing amount of inactive "junk" DNA in humans, some of it is DNA we incorporated from bacteria and things, some of it stuff that operated once but then went dormant. Think of it as the DLL's in an overly bloated, much-patched piece of windows software. The possibilities of what some of hat DNA could do if it became active again are astronomical. From new/old mutations, to bizarre and deadly diseases, to who knows what... esp powers? A better brain? Immortality? So a SF story that was based on that could go almost anywhere. Unfortunately, hollywood development goes only in one direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]