FORUMS: list search recent posts

X-men Dark Phoenix

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wright
X-men Dark Phoenix
on Jun 10, 2019 at 12:42:09 am

doesn't need much in here. you can name it in two words, Beautifully - Dark.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: X-men Dark Phoenix
on Jun 10, 2019 at 4:57:02 pm

Also"Boxoffice flop", apparently. But the box office is not necessarily the best or only measure of a movie's quality. Plenty of now-classic movies bombed at their first release. Sometimes the public's not ready for the auteur's vision.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 10, 2019 at 5:04:06 pm

I really don't understand the critics. It was in the top 3 x-men films. it seems once 30% of critics get on board, the rest follow blindly. notice the disparity of audience approval. almost a 2:1 ratio. I almost didn't see it because of the harsh critic score(I'm glad I did). This time, rotten tomatoes felt like it was payed off. They better vet their campaign contributors, lol.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 11, 2019 at 2:02:19 pm

I was interested in seeing it, especially because it was under 2 hours, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I kind of enjoyed Apocalypse even though it was received by most as bad. That was almost 2 and 1/2 hours, though. No one needs to make X-Men movies that long.

I guess I'm more interested in how the MCU will incorporate the X-Men now that they have the rights. I hope one of their "phases" ends in a big Avengers vs. X-Men battle, that would be pretty sweet.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 11, 2019 at 2:10:19 pm

I think at this point, the X-Men movies should try going the opposite way; go small. Single lead. I could watch a Gambit movie, I think, if it could convert all the time servicing an ensemble cast into time spent developing just Gambit.

I feel one reason the Woverine/Logan movies do better than the ensemble ones id for just that reason. It's just simple math that the more characters you cram into a movie, the less the any individual one gets. This was always problem with the trek movies, since every ain cast character had a contractually established minimum amount of screen time, as well as screen time their fans wanted. You've blown a whole act, just letting everyone take their bows and star turns.

Spiderman and Batman movies often wasted opportunities by cramming more than one villain into the movie.

Deadpool kept the ensembles small and I think that helped.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 11, 2019 at 2:24:31 pm

I totally agree, I think MCU should do individual character movies. They need to start with those, then maybe do some interesting small pair offs (Spider-Man and Nightcrawler, Wolverine and Hulk, SHIELD vs Magneto, etc). And just slowly build to a giant Avengers vs X-Men movie to cap off the storylines.

Doing the classic "pro-mutant vs anti-mutant" storyline would be a good way to get the two sides divided up for the showdown, and let some of the characters have to make some moral judgement calls. I guess that was just Civil War, though, haha.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 11, 2019 at 4:37:31 pm

No need to laugh: these are eternal evergreen plots because they mirror human nature and human history. The key is as always in the creative execution, putting a fresh or artful spin on the old tale.

Now we need to go take a meeting with the Warner's and DC folks and get their %^$*^ straightened out, lol.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]