FORUMS: list search recent posts

Game of Stunt

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Game of Stunt
on May 7, 2019 at 6:21:41 pm

There's been a lot of chatter since Sunday about how a Starbucks cup with lid was "accidentally" included in a shot of this week's Game of Thrones / "The Last of the Starks" episode. Katy Kay, the BBC's Washington correspondent said something to the effect that, "You would think that a show that costs $10 million an episode to produce would have caught this."

I disagree with the whole notion that it was a mistake. For the episode immediately following their biggest of the season, "The Long Night”, the one that featured one of the largest, longest and most detailed battle scenes ever on any screen -- 55 night shoots along with, no doubt, several sound stage days, "The Long Night” drew 17.6 million viewers, their highest number ever. So what could you possibly do for the episode that followed it to keep people talking about G.O.T.?

Well how about subtly placing some "continuity violation" in one shot so that a few people (who think they are smart and observant) catch it and start talking it up, thereby bringing renewed attention. Seems like any show that deals in such enormous budgets, much of which is spent on computer-generated graphics, could have easily digitally masked or substituted this gaff for a cup more period appropriate. IF they wanted to. Instead I think (IMHO) it was a deliberate stunt.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Game of Stunt
on May 7, 2019 at 6:34:41 pm

Starbucks has been the unintentional recipient of millions of dollars of free publicity. Come to think of it, I have a craving for a Mocha Venti Dragon Glass Latte.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 7, 2019 at 9:55:43 pm

I think it was just an honest mistake but I'm surprised someone didn't spot it and get it rotoed-out in the final stages. Thing is, and I know this from personal experience, you can look at something so long, while working on various details and playing the thing over and over and OVER... your brain no longer can catch something that's obvious to a fresh pair of eyes.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 10, 2019 at 2:32:38 am

[Nick Griffin] "I disagree with the whole notion that it was a mistake. "

Gotta love Nick's POV. Didn't know you were such a cynic!

btw, I read today that the cup wasn't even from Starbucks but from craft services. Such is the power of a brand, that it can get recognized even when it isn't there.

Nick, you reminded me of my favorite cynical line, from Casablanca:

“I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!”
(The croupier hands him his money.)
“…Your winnings, sir.”
“Oh, thank you very much!”

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]