FORUMS: list search recent posts

Captain Marvel -spoiler free

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wright
Captain Marvel -spoiler free
on Mar 11, 2019 at 1:49:38 am

My first thought making this post was, why hasn't there been a post for this? Captain Marvel is smart, funny, and the screenplay is brilliant. Brie Larson's acting is as good or better than Chris Evan's, and I bet he'd give half his shield to have had these screenwriters for his movies. Brie Larson made a very entertaining character and was in sync with the script. So cancel your trip to disneyland, skip your wedding, cause you need to see this movie!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Captain Marvel -spoiler free
on Mar 11, 2019 at 2:44:22 pm

Cool, I'm glad it was a great film. I can't wait to see it.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 11, 2019 at 4:03:55 pm

I'm going next weekend. Looks interesting.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2019 at 6:24:20 pm

OK, saw it, liked it. There were no surprises in it, really. But I like the overall execution and the supporting actors playing the Skrulls were very very good. I see a lot of criticism of Larson's acting as the lead, but I didn't have a problem with it because of the character context.

I saw in the plot and script a kind of semi- buried metaphor for our current Christins/Muslim political tensions and the refugee situation.

My older son had an interesting take on it. He said this was the first "feminist" Comic Book/ SF/ Action movie he'd seen in a long while, where they didn't dumb-down the male characters, make them stupid or weak, just to make a better contrast to the female leads.... "They didn't make the men incompetent and weak, just to make the women winners - they made *everybody* strong and competent, really more equal than usual."

From a gamer guy like my son, that was high praise. In any case, this movie should break some kind of record on the Bechdel scale. Definitely take your daughter to it.

Random thoughts:

I loved the art direction, the editing was good, the photography, maybe kind of standard for a Marvel movie. I thought the balance between character development scenes and action was about right, though I always think car chases are too long and pointless. There were scenes I've seen in trailers that were cut from the movie. Sam Jackson's acting is so easy and effortless, it's just fun to watch.

I clapped at the Stan Lee tribute; that was well- thought out and well-done. Gonna miss the cameos, hopefully they banked a bunch of extra ones to add into future films.

Saw this in Real-D 3-D in a small theater. As usual these days, the actions scenes are directed in such a way as to promote 3-d viewing, which is getting old for me. It's like one step up from "Dr. Tongue's 3-d House of Pancakes."; "Ooooh, see how DIMENSIONAL this scene is!?!?! Isn't it just like a roller coaster, OMG!!! "

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]