FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spielberg vs Netflix Movies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Spielberg vs Netflix Movies
on Mar 4, 2019 at 4:39:59 pm

For the second time in the past year Steven Spielberg has been quoted saying that Netflix and other streaming movies should win Emmys, not Oscars.

Meanwhile Martin Scorsese has a Netflix movie in the works and Alfonso Cuaron won several Oscars for his Netflix movie.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Spielberg vs Netflix Movies
on Mar 4, 2019 at 7:17:51 pm

A movie is a movie. Why does it matter if the distributor streamed it to the whole world instead of waiting 9 months? Being in a theater for a few months doesn't change the film.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 4, 2019 at 7:54:38 pm

Well, its pretty obvious, a Spielberg movie gets an Oscar, and any other movie gets a meemee and direct to dvd/tv, lol.
This does sound a little pretentious, and in reality, many Netflix films have bigger budgets than actual first run theatre films. So, perhaps they need to refine what a movie is. Is it a big screen, big entertainment, big stars attached, budget? first run? etc.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 4, 2019 at 9:11:23 pm

I wanted to see If Beale Street Could Talk, but it never played at the theater by my house. So I never had the opportunity to see it. It got Oscar nominated despite not even being available to everybody, but it did play in theaters *somewhere*, I guess.

I DID see Roma on Netflix, which is a 2+ hour collection of moving pictures with actors and dialogue and a screenplay (also known as a movie).

I agree that if it fits all the criteria to be a feature length movie, who REALLY cares if it had a three week qualifying run in New York and LA to make it eligible? 99.9% of people saw it at home anyway. This whole thing is an argument from an aging cinema purist that comes across as borderline snobby.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 7, 2019 at 3:42:07 pm

A difference that makes no difference,... is no difference?

I think of Emmy's as primarily for episodic "Broadcast" TV shows and some cable series. Oscars, I associate with stand-alone single productions, whether shot on actual chemical film stock or electronically. The manner of distribution is the sticking point there... The open secret of limited theatrical release on a film, to qualify it for the Oscars is a quaint old loophole/work-around in the rules that may not really have much relevance today.

I'd take more notice of Spielberg's opinion if he had some fresh and good new movies coming out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]