FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Widows

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
The Widows
on Feb 11, 2019 at 6:43:34 pm

Fun spin on the caper movie trope; a crew's last heist goes horribly bad and they all die. To survive financially, their widows take on the next planned job themselves.

What I liked about this was that it was played a lot more seriously than stuff like the "Ocean's n" series of caper films. It still has enough twists, but it's overall a darker, more desperate film. There's no playing up the thrill of the caper in this. The violence is practical, prosaic.

I was intrigued by some of the choices in the photography and editing. The car chase POV and in-car conversation set pieces are handled in an unconventional and refreshing style.

Being from Chicago, I recognized a lot of the locations, and the choices among those were refreshingly offbeat and less- over-used.

I was ambivalent about the authenticity of the Chicago/Bridgeport dialects. Some are dead-on, others are like warped attempts at Irish accents. To be trootful, could have used more dialog coaching on dayt over by dere.

Overall a stylish yet understated film. Nothing really new here, except the female casting was exceptional... but I liked the execution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]