FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wild Wild Country

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Wild Wild Country
on Feb 6, 2019 at 7:07:51 pm

Has anyone seen Wild Wild Country? Here is the trailer:

I was told about it from some friends who grew up on Washington back in the 80s. Basically, it was a super small town in Oregon that all the sudden had a tone of people move in and control everything in the town since the could outvote the locals. They even brought in homeless people from Portland to vote. This made the locals upset and created a divide. It looks like the guru who moved all of the people in ended up doing illegal things on top of it.

I've watched the first 30 minutes and the documentary is really slow. I wanted to know if it was worth sticking with or just reading about it on Wikipedia? Or just watching certain episodes since it is 6 episode each over an hour long.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Wild Wild Country
on Feb 7, 2019 at 6:20:47 pm

Hi Stephen,

I haven't seen this doc, but had seen a shorter show about it a year or two ago. Basically a CULT came in and took over the town, it was nuts! I think what I saw was regarding a murder or something, one of those A&E shows like Forensic Files, but involving that town/cult group.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 7, 2019 at 6:45:52 pm

I finished the first episode...sort of, I ended up skipping forward. It felt like they had enough content for a strong 2 hour documentary but got asked to create a docuseries and had to load it with unimportant information. For example, the founder of Nike got involved with a group to stop the cult. They spent a good 5 minutes explaining the history of Nike. Why? Who cares. Just say the creator of the Nike shoe used his wealth to create the anti-cult group and move on. Sounds like I need to watch the A&E documentary (show episode) instead.

I was just wondering if the documentary finally picks up or if it is super slow with lots of fluff throughout the whole series. It sounds like I may have answered my own question.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 7, 2019 at 6:53:32 pm

Google search turned up the following about what I was talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Rajneeshee_bioterror_attack

Forsensic Files TV Episode: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3259116/

Oh, here we go, found the actual video!

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 7, 2019 at 6:58:19 pm

This is awesome, thanks. I just started reading the Wiki page....holy smokes, that is crazy!

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 7, 2019 at 6:58:59 pm

I watched it last year and liked it a good amount. It definitely picks up in terms of outrageousness. I forgot when it gets really good (maybe episode 3?). But, I mean if you watch a couple of episodes and you still aren't digging it, then maybe it just isn't your thing. It gets a lot weirder and more interesting, though. But life is short, only watch what you want to watch! Or watch it in the background while you do other things and see if it gets your attention. I mean, you haven't even [spoilers] gotten to the crazy assassination attempts...!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 7, 2019 at 8:12:13 pm

Yeah, I haven't gotten to any of the crazy assassination attempts. The first episode is really just about who the Guru is and how that lady became his do everything for me person. I like the idea of listening to it in the background. I'll have to do that next time I color grade or do motion graphics.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 25, 2019 at 4:25:03 pm

This weekend, saw a parody of this film on IFC channel's satirical series: 'Documentary NOW", a 2-parter called "Bats%^$t Valley". It was a note-perfect mocumentary, copied the style quite well.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 25, 2019 at 5:21:51 pm

I ended up listening to the documentary while working and not watching it. The first episode was about the Guru and how his 2nd in command came into power. The 2nd one was more about Sheela the 2nd in command and why they decided to move to Oregon. At that point, it is just a bunch of people who are different from the locals moving into town. Then the rest of the episodes things get nuts. I felt the series really picked up at that point. Each episode things get crazier and it feels like the whole story is made up due to it being so crazy. A person being interviewed even says this story is so crazy it is hard to believe it really happened.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Ken Boyer
on Feb 26, 2019 at 6:03:29 am

I grew up in the Portland area while all this was taking place in Antelope. So I found "Wild Wild Country" to be absolutely fascinating. It was on the news every night while I was in middle school/early high school. I'm amazed they were 1) able to track down Sheela, and 2) she agreed to talk.

I really enjoyed the interviews with the Antelope residents who had to put up with the invasion. I guess after 35 years they can have a little perspective on the whole thing. But it sure had to be scary when it was happening.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 7, 2019 at 6:25:27 pm

This SNL skit is funny:

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]