FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacGruber

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
MacGruber
on May 24, 2010 at 4:54:55 pm

Not as funny as I was hoping it would be. There are 4 or 5 laugh out loud hilarious moments, but overall the good jokes are spread so thin that there are several stretches of unfunny moments. I'd say it worth watching one time just for the few scenes that really are amazingly funny, once it become free on HBO or something, probably not worth the theater ticket. It does feature some of the funniest lovemaking scenes since Team America: World Police.

And a lot of critics are saying it's the funniest SNL movie since Wayne's World, and that may be true. But the slew of SNL movies in between Wayne's World and this weren't exactly comedic masterpieces. I personally don't even think it's in the same league as Wayne's World. How are you going to compete with a movie that has brilliant quotes like:

"A gun rack...? I don't even own a gun. Let alone many guns, which would necessitate an entire rack. What... am I going to do... with a gun rack?"

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: MacGruber
on May 24, 2010 at 6:55:40 pm

I'm guessing McGruber isn't even as funny as Wayne's World 2. The box office was anemic for it opening weekend, will probably hit red box in three weeks:-).

Of all the lame things Lorne could spinn off of SNL... thye chose to make a film out of a bad 90-second skit premise? After making three other bad films based on a 90-second skit premise?

10os later, Twain rises from the dead to take back his comdey award from Lorne Michaels. Make 90 seconds out of THAT.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 24, 2010 at 7:05:17 pm

Unfortunately, anyone who sees a movie like Magruber is feeding the beast. In other words - a movie that costs $5million to make can get a few hundred thousand suckers to see it in the theater, let them earn their money back, and prove to the studio bosses that stupid movies based upon 90 second SNL skits are viable. If that is the case, I'd like to see the following turned into movies:

- The Pump Thanksgiving Turkey with Chris Rock
- Celebrity Jeopardy - this could be a trilogy and finally get Connery out of retirement
- Laser Cats
- Gov David Patterson the movie
- Sarah Palin movie - let Tina Fey go full Palin and play it straight - the Palin fans will see it as paying homage to their leader, and the democrats will see it as a comedy. Might actually do pretty well and will get lots of free press.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 24, 2010 at 7:51:40 pm

I'd go see a Celebrity Jeopardy movie. Twice.

I never thought he'd have the discipline, but I always admired Mike Myers for pulling the plug on the "Sprockets" movie. If you don't remember "Sprockets," that's kinda the point. Although not a week goes by that I don't drop one of the touchphrases.

I want them to keep trying, though. The Blues Brothers didn't even come from recurring characters, or even a proper single sketch. It was Belushi and Ackroyd wearing the costumes from the Killer Bee sketch, singing Slim Harpo's "I'm a King Bee." People liked it enough that The Blues Brothers performed once - ONCE! - as a musical guest, and a very, very good movie came out of that.

The question to me has never been the thin-ness of the concept, but the talent of the people. There are still plenty of talented people on SNL doing very interesting work (Kristen Wiig in "Whip It" - perfection), and goodness knows that there are plenty of alums who are among our national treasures...even if not all that many movies are.

But there are hardly ANY movies that are all that good. I think the percentage of at least moderate quality among SNL movies is strong enough that they should absolutely stay at it.

As for feeding the beast, I think that it's often worthwhile to think of those SNL sketch movies as the minor leagues. Because seriously, wouldn't it be a tragedy if Will Ferrell's only movie appearance was Night at the Roxbury? And if the only reason for that movie to exist is to launch the rest of his career, wasn't it worth it?

At least while we wait for the Celebrity Jeopardy movie.

Always, always, always spin the dice on talented people.

Now, for another conversation, we can talk about SCTV: Harold Ramis as actor, writer and director, John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy, Martin Short (came to SNL later, with characters he created on SCTV), Andrea Martin, Rick Moranis....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 24, 2010 at 8:47:42 pm

I'm as happy a a little girl, Tim... you have my permission to touch my monkey, any time.
"TOUCH HIM!!! LOVE HIM!!!!"
(For the uninitiated, that's a Shprockets reference; Tim and I are nothing but profesisonal acquaintences.)

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 24, 2010 at 8:57:47 pm

When I was a freshman at the University of Hartford, we had a one-off event in the sports arena called "Live From Hartford, It's Saturday Night" - I think it was on a Tuesday. Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and Chris Rock performed a stand-up set each and then they did a Wayne's World sketch, George Bush and no doubt other great characters from the early 90's. It was amazing.

Yep Wayne's World was a great SNL spin-off. I think it is true what Tim said - the cruddy first movies are what gets the actors out of the tv studio and into the real world. Look at Tom Hanks - Bosom Buddies to Saving Private Ryan - he had a few duds in there too.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 24, 2010 at 7:56:02 pm

Well, to be fair, it wasn't just a 90 minute recreation of the 90 second sketch. It was more a spoof of 80s action movies (and obviously the television show MacGuyver), and THAT'S where it actually failed. But I mean it did have some original ideas, it was just created on the foundation of an established character. It more failed in the sense that Will Forte wasn't that funny, and he was the reason it was supposed to be funny.

It is kind of comical that it bombed as bad as it did, I guess it should be a reminder to Lorne Michaels that not many people watch his show anymore, and the ones that do must not like it enough to spend money on it. I saw it because I like going to the theater every weekend and I don't like the Shrek movies at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]