FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aquaman

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Aquaman
on Dec 24, 2018 at 3:08:36 pm

While not Oscar bait, this was solid entertainment. And it succeeds at it's most important task, making this guy:

look like a convincing badass.

They also succeed in making his nemesis look worthy.

The visuals for this are definitely designed to be appreciated best in 3-d, but I watched in 2-d and enjoyed it just fine. Could do without the Pitbull cover of Toto's "Africa."

It's a little long for the amount of plot involved, and it's highly predictable, to the point that parts of it look lifted from other recent comic book movies. But soap opera plots are really what comics are based on already, so it may just be parallel evolution. The acting chemistry is good between the leads, mostly. Nice to see Willem DaFoe in this. Morrison and Kidman do pretty well. Kids are going to love this movie on a big screen, it's an FX extravaganza, with a lot of fun visual details.

Something I've seen mentioned elsewhere, and I agree with it, is that Marvel comics movie adaptations are generally better than their animated adaptations, where DC comics has been the reverse; strong in animation (in recent years) but less competitive in live action. While I would rank Wonder Woman higher, the Aquaman movie is pretty good. For DC.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Aquaman
on Dec 28, 2018 at 9:50:09 pm

I thought Wonder Women is the best recent DC film while Justice League, Suicide Squad and Batman Versus Superman where beyond awful. I'm glad to here Aquaman was good even though it wasn't as good as Wonder Women. Are you saying Wonder women is 1st place and Aquaman is 2nd? Or would you rank other films above or in-between?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Aquaman
on Dec 28, 2018 at 11:57:50 pm

WW is the best of that list, no question. Everything else has been second-best to that so far. I'd put justice League ahead of Aquaman, and though a lot of people hated the Joker in Suicide Squad, I didn't mind that, found it an interesting take, in an otherwise flawed movie. Batman V. Superman would be last on the list.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]