FORUMS: list search recent posts

Indiana Jones and the Spacemen

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Indiana Jones and the Spacemen
on May 20, 2010 at 12:18:03 am

Since this forum did not exist a few years ago, I thought I'd give a quick two sentence review of Indy IV:

Indy IV follows the trend of Star Wars 1-3 - George Lucas, who writes the stuff and is a gazillionaire, decided that he should write his new sequels for kids and not care if the grown-ups think they are dumb.

I enjoyed the aspects of Indy IV that reminded me of Indy 1-3, just like I enjoyed the aspects of Star Wars 1-3 that reminded me of 4-5 and some of 6. Sound familiar?

Boy wonder Shia LaBeouf may have just ended his Dreamworks career, but he earned some respect from me after Transformers 2:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/05/shia-labeouf-wall-street-2-i...

Talk amongst yourselves.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Indiana Jones and the Spacemen
on May 20, 2010 at 6:35:43 am

There's a truly, truly brutal episode of South Park devoted to this. It shows Indiana Jones being savagely violated by Lucas and Spielberg, repeatedly.

This other episode is a little (a little) easier going, wherein the boys rip Lucas and Spielberg for changing their early masterpieces. The boys set off to confront the filmmakers. Mayhem and face melting ensues.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 20, 2010 at 2:34:18 pm

I like how Shia Lebeouf is going around badmouthing these terrible sequels he's been in that are ruining the first films of the series, all while promoting Wall Street 2, a sequel that will once again probably disgrace the original. Can we expect some Lebeouf bashing of Oliver Stone sometime in 2011? Probably while promoting Transformers 3? I'm sure we will no doubt here some apologizing for Transformers 3. I don't hate this guy, but looking at Lucas/Spielberg's recent track record, he should have assumed Indy 4 was not going to be a masterpiece. And he chose to be in the movie. His half-hearted "I blame myself" was pretty transparent, no one could have made that monkey swinging scene work!

But I didn't hate everything about Indy 4, it was kind of fun. I liked the scene with the ants... I just don't like it when people say "At least it was better than Temple of Doom..." Temple of Doom is one of the best action/adventure movies ever made!

And that South Park with the pinball scene and the Deliverance scene was hilariously intense.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 21, 2010 at 5:02:24 pm

I thought pretty much ALL the Indy Jones sequels were weaker than the original, though "Last Crusade" had some better high points. This last one was a snoozer, weakest of all, and it didn't have to be. Roswell Aliens, the atom bomb, late 40's/early 50's tech, Commie Russians, and a newly-introduced bastard son... you had all the right elements for a grand slam end tot he Indy era and a new beginign with his son; they were just not fit together into something watchable. The actors were okay. They weren't where it fell down, though Ford IS really too old for this now. The action sequences felt completely divorced from the film, like theme park ride attractions you board between sections of exposition, instead o integral parts of the movie.

I liked some of the call-backs to earlier sequels, and little Easter-Eggs scattered around in Indy 4, but overall, I left bored and nonplussed. I would say the biggest problem was the script, second biggest was the directorial/edit. The first Indy movie spent much more time in pre-production planning and getting all the story nuances just-so. This last effort felt phoned-in with short-cuts by people with more of a marketing mindset than a film-making, STORY-TELLING one.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 21, 2010 at 6:53:21 pm

We can continue this thread sometime soon when we discuss "Jurassic Park IV: A Cheaper Version of Jurassic Park I with all the Stuff You Hated about II and III"

If Spielberg directs JP IV, no doubt with a script from Roberto Orci, we are in for a treat. It would be cool to reunite the original cast, including the two kids who by now are grown up and going to college for paleontology and of course have the brilliant idea to charter a plane and go back to their childhood stomping grounds for an independent research project.

Yep, Spielberg sometimes seems to miss the boat. His flannel-clad buddy has a lot to do with that.

Mik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]