Binge Watching Report 2018

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Mike Cohen
Binge Watching Report 2018
on Sep 5, 2018 at 8:26:05 pm

Netflix

A Very British Scandal

High Grant gives a rare dramatic performance (with some comedy to take the edge off) in the true story of Jeremy Thorpe, a member of Parliament who, in the 1960s and 1970s did some very bad things. Only a few episodes and worth watching. He may have been Prime Minister if he behaved himself.

Jessica Jones

While we have watched both seasons I have to admit, I don't like it. The character has an arc and she does grow and get past some of her...past, but some of the episodes seem to be slow.

Mindhunter

I may have already talked about this in another post, but it is an engaging look at the early days of criminal profiling at the FBI. Very binge-worthy.

Altered Carbon

This sci-fi show might be too much for casual viewers. Lots of technobabble but some great action and fighting scenes.

The Clone Wars

I actually watched this when it was on actual television, but occasionally I go back and watch some of the better episodes. The series fills in the gaps between Attach of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. There are filler episodes and essential ones. The filler episodes do contribute to the overall story, but we really don't need to see Jar Jar and 3PO on a mission. The essential ones focus on Anakin and his Padawan Ashoka, Obi-Wan and Yoda and Palpatine. The final season really foreshadows some of the events of Empire and Jedi. Yes it is a cartoon but if the Prequels were this good fans would have been happy.

Everything Sucks!

A group of early teens figure out life and love in the early days of high school. Everyone thinks I was in the AV club, which I wasn't, but the show feels nostalgic to me.

There are more but these are what we have been watching most recently.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Binge Watching Report 2018
on Sep 6, 2018 at 2:24:05 pm

Re; Clone Wars, it does something none of the films could do: rehabilitate Jar-Jar Binks. The trooper figures out Jar-Jar has chaotic Force powers he's unaware of and can't control, but that nevertheless tend to cause "bad luck" to the followers of the Dark Side. Just point him towards the enemy, and somehow, he will mess them up. Had they played this up in the movies, things might be very different.

I can't say enough good things about Better Call Saul. Every shot is a master level painting, the acting and writing and editing are all brilliant.

Still loving The Venture Bros. too. But this show pretty much demands you watch everything from the first season, in episode order, to get the real brilliance of it. The layers of nuance and call-backs are a level above anything else on TV.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Binge Watching Report 2018
on Sep 7, 2018 at 1:34:16 pm

I agree about Better Call Saul. I have watched this on AMC via DVR, so I binge watch over 10 weeks! It is gradually becoming Breaking Bad, and each season has been quite different in story and tone as we see Jimmy devolve into a different person than where he started. Some of the shot composition is brilliant and worthy of framing.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]