FORUMS: list search recent posts

2001: A Space IMAX

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
2001: A Space IMAX
on Aug 27, 2018 at 8:40:18 pm

I was excited to finally see 2001 on the big screen. Luckily my local digital IMAX theater was nearly empty so I was able to sit dead center.

Somehow they were able to fill the screen top to bottom and the picture did not look distorted. I know that they recently had 70mm film screenings, so presumably they scanned the film and digitally made it fit the IMAX format. IMAX has something called DMR which converts standard film formats to IMAX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#DMR_(Digital_Media_Remastering) I can't find anything on the google about how they converted 2001 to IMAX, if not using the DMR process.

Anyway, I have seen 2001 countless times on DVD and Blu-Ray, so it was a treat to see it on a huge screen and really look for details that can't be seen on a home television. The soundtrack was spectacular both the music, sound design and dialogue. While the worldwide audience for a one-week IMAX release is probably a very small number of people outside of major cities, I'm happy to have seen it. The stargate sequence on a massive screen is pure eye candy, and many of the iconic sequences are a new experience at this scale.

If you have an IMAX within 100 miles it would be worth the drive, but don't wait, you'll miss it.

Open the pod bay door HAL.

HAL, can you hear me?

HAL?

HHHHAAAALLLL?????

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: 2001: A Space IMAX
on Aug 28, 2018 at 8:51:08 pm

Hi Mike,

Glad I saw your posting or I'd have missed this opportunity - going to see this tonight in Milwaukee area after work! I like sci-fi movies, but somehow have only seen bits and pieces of this over the years, or perhaps I saw it decades ago and don't remember...I'm 52. Should be a neat experience.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]