FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avengers: Infinity War (Spoiler-free version)

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Avengers: Infinity War (Spoiler-free version)
on Apr 30, 2018 at 3:28:14 pm

Well you certainly get a lot of movie for your dollar on this one. Marvel's interlocking Avengers movies have created a star-spanning meta-story that's akin to a modern-day Wagner's Ring Cycle. Is it any good?

I'd say yes.

It's not a spoiler to say this movie doesn't come with a "happy" ending. It's similar to Empire Strikes Back. You will not go out the theater skipping and whistling. But it does make you impatient to see the next one.

The overall impression I got was amazement that you could cram as many plot lines into one film as this one has. That it works at all is only -because- of all the groundwork laid in the previous Marvel movies since the first Iron Man in 2008. This is a movie that took a decade to set up. I can't imagine a moviegoer who has never seen any of the previous films, coming into this one, cold. It must be bewildering, and probably, less than fully enjoyable for that.

So, how many of the previous Avengers movies could you have missed and still "get" Infinity War? I think you have to have seen at least the first Guardians Of The Galaxy movie, One of the Iron Man movies, at least one of the Captain America movies, and Black Panther. Without at least those in your mental file drawer, you're going to be flying blind.

A lot of this movie hangs on the quality of Josh Brolin's performance and his CGI makeup as the Villain, Thanos. If you can't read enough nuance from the actor in such an outlandish looking character, you can't suspend disbelief enough to get into the film. Brolin makes it work, and the movie lives up to the hype, IMO.

Do you need to see it in IMax or 3-d? The 3-d is converted, as it seems almost everything now is... remember how we thought we'd be shooting everything in stereo by now? That seems stalled now, to me, because 3-d conversion in post is working out so well. This movie is definitely composed visually to take advantage of 3-d. But I didn't feel I missed anything, seeing it flat. The cinematography and editing style flick you around enough that you feel immersed anyway.

Will the comics otaku guys like it? I diverges a little from the comics version it is based on, but I think it gets enough of the key points and looks across that nobody will care but the hard core basement-dwellers. I think a general audience will love it as-is. Provided they've done the "homework" ahead of time.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Spoiler-free version)
on May 6, 2018 at 3:58:33 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on May 7, 2018 at 12:58:38 pm

it does go to show that films are only as good as the villain. i liked how they made thanos a character and not a plot point to overcome; probably the greatest oversite of any movie ever made. You listening x-men apocalypse?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 7, 2018 at 2:42:09 pm

[Mark Suszko] "So, how many of the previous Avengers movies could you have missed and still "get" Infinity War?"

I think you probably need to have a basic understanding of who Doctor Strange is as well. I guess they used a little exposition to explain why he has the time stone, and you can quickly pick up on the fact that he can pretty much just do cool stuff without much explanation; but I don't know, he seems like he would be a confusing person to not know about.

My friend took his employees to see Infinity War because they all wanted to see it, but he himself had barely seen any of the other MCU movies, and he outright said it was a really confusing experience and he didn't like it, haha. We all made fun of him for complaining. "Hey guys, I just saw this movie called Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... I hadn't seen the other ones. It was really confusing..."

[Mark Suszko] "Do you need to see it in IMax or 3-d?"

As someone who saw it in 3-D, I would *NOT* recommend it. The most opportune time to see it the night we saw it was 8:30, and the only 8:30 show was 3-D. As always, the coolest thing you'll see in 3-D is the first 5 minutes of the movie, and then you're just wearing useless $4 sunglasses for the remaining 2 hours.

Overall, I really liked Infinity War. I would say that I was pretty much non-stop entertained. As corny as it sounds, the ending might end up being one of the most memorable big blockbuster endings of all time. In a era when movies find it harder and harder to surprise people, it's pretty incredible that (basically) the biggest movie of the year was able to stun and surprise millions of theatergoers. Good for them! I thought the ending was nuts, and regardless of what happens in the next movie to diminish the coolness of it, I'll still always have that feeling of experiencing how crazy it was the first time I saw it. I'm genuinely excited to see what happens next. Which is something I think I've only felt for like 5 or 6 of the 18 Marvel movies.

[Chris Wright] "i liked how they made thanos a character and not a plot point to overcome; probably the greatest oversite of any movie ever made. You listening x-men apocalypse?"

I've seen X-Men Apocalypse twice and I'll be honest, I don't remember what Apocalypse's motives were... Was he just doing a basic super villain planet cleanse because he finds humanity "flawed"? Or was he into taking planets' resources and Earth was next in his queue?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 31, 2018 at 2:34:54 pm

I liked the film. My parents didn't know it was a two-parter and the movie was split in half. My Mom was really upset when the film ended :-)

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]