FORUMS: list search recent posts

Krypton

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Krypton
on Mar 26, 2018 at 3:34:28 pm

I happened to see a promo for this new show - I never watch SyFy channel, but I gave it a shot. Perhaps the success of Gotham and Supergirl has made the folks at DC think about exploiting their other properties.

First, I don't know if Supergirl is successful. It has been on for 2 or 3 seasons. I watched some of season 1 and found it a struggle to watch. It made the Smallville acting look better by comparison, and I know they have since added Kal-El as a occasional guest character.

Krypton takes place 200 years before Kal-El is sent to Earth. The story focuses on his grandfather Zorg-El, his girlfirend Snookie and his bartender friend Hank (I don't remember their actual names as they are in Kryptonian). Krypton is not the snow planet we saw in the movies. It is basically Coruscant and if the budget is not maintained after the first episode it may start looking more like Hoth.

So far the story is somewhat interesting - the El family was cast aside due to some political scandal, but now they are gradually moving back into the good graces of the leadership of Kandor City. It appears we will meet Braniac and the Zod family at some point, and a traveler from Earth is somehow involved. I'll give this show 5 episodes to win my interest, if it lasts that long. So far it seems convoluted and I'm not sure Superman fans are interested in this back story.

It reminds me a little of Caprica, the BSG prequel which was an attempt to tell the story of human-made Cylons decades before the Adamas and Starbucks came along. It was on for maybe 10 episodes. I think by the time the show was made people had their fill of 7 seasons of Battlestar Galactica. As SyFy channel shows go, BSG was one of the best, and most of their shows are less good. I suppose there is an audience for less good.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Krypton
on Mar 27, 2018 at 4:08:56 pm

I was a big fan of the rebooted Galactica (well, not the ending, but most of the rest of it) as well as the Caprica spin-off, which was unique and original and just hitting it's stride when it got cancelled.

I know skiffie was pretty low-rent in the dark, Bonnie Hammer Times, with the wrestling and ghost hunting and ghost-wrestling and sharknadoes and what-all....

but The Expanse is just terrifically made and totally engrossing to watch. You should check it out, but be warned; you'll be ordering the book series soon after:-)

I forgive almost everything SciFi did because of The Expanse; it's what real SF fans have always asked for.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 27, 2018 at 5:32:52 pm

I admittedly have not watched many SyFy shows. Does anyone actually call it SyFy? I still call it The SciFi channel.

Here is an interesting description of the name change from Wikipedia:

______

On March 16, 2009, NBCUniversal announced that Sci Fi was rebranding as "Syfy". Network officials also noted that, unlike the generic term "sci fi", which represents the entire genre, the term "Syfy" as a sensational spelling can be protected by trademark and therefore would be easier to market on other goods or services without fear of confusion with other companies' products. The only significant previous use of the term "Syfy" in relation to science fiction was by the website SyFy Portal, which became Airlock Alpha after selling the brand to NBC Universal (represented by a shell company) in February 2009 for $250,000.[17]

The name change was greeted with initial negativity,[18][19] with people deliberately mispronouncing "Syfy" as /ˈsɪfi/ SIF-ee or /ˈsiːfi/ SEE-fee to make fun of the name change.

____

While on that page I looked at other shows and I have seen a few of them:

Battlestar Galactica - I watched this whole series including the movie specials. Having watched some of the late 1970s episodes, this was a refreshingly grown up reboot. Some really good characters combined with the new take on Cylons was pretty engaging. A few years ago I met Edward James Olmos and was excited to have a conversation with someone who had been in BSG, Dexter, Miami Vice, Blade Runner and numerous other films.

Caprica - already mentioned and could have been good if it had the time

Flash Gordon - a typical SyFy show - good intentions but really hokey acting

Being Human - we had watched the BBC version and tried watching the US version. I find it difficult to watch a new version of the same story. This happened with Broadchurch in which David Tennant played the same character in both versions of the same general plot. It's mentally difficult.

FaceOff - we watched a few seasons of this special effects makeup show. It was formulaic like most relaity competition shows, but the contestants seemed like the real deal. They had guest judges such as Michael Piller and Greg Nicotero.

Warehouse 13 - I watched a couple seasons of this on and off. It was a clever idea that the US Government has a warehouse full of high tech artifacts.

Marcels' Quantum Kitchen - we watched a few episodes of this high tech cooking show - the guy used things like sous vide and liquid nitrogen

Anyway, back to Krypton for a minute. Oddly, everyone on Krypton has a British accent. In the Donner films Kryptonians seemed to have a mix of accents.

They play a few notes of the John Williams Superman theme periodically - that is burned into pop culture and was even used in Superman Returns.

It will be interesting to see the back story of Zod and the Phantom Zone.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Aug 25, 2018 at 2:17:41 am

Like Mark, I really liked Caprica and felt that it merited another season as it was just striking its own stride when it was killed. In some ways, I liked the characters of Caprica better than BSG. I thought the whole idea of the inner world was quite good. But like most Sif-eee shows, the good ones die and the crap goes on forever.

I haven't had the heart to watch Krypton but may now that you have my curiosity going. I just hope I can remember how to get to Sif-ee as it's been a long while since I was last there. ;)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]