FORUMS: list search recent posts

Netflix Altered Carbon; cyberpunk done very, very right

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Netflix Altered Carbon; cyberpunk done very, very right
on Feb 7, 2018 at 3:49:33 pm

Based on the book by Richard Morgan, This is a cyberpunk story done right. Very, very right. It's like plugging directly into William Gibson's subconscious. With production values equaling theatrical releases, here you get to spend enough time over the episodes to really learn the characters and enjoy a plot that isn't being rushed. It's really like reading a book, come to life, and I find it very entertaining and engrossing. For the more delicate viewer, it contains male and female nudity, as well as some pretty gory violence, but those are incidental to the main plot and action.

I heard a reviewer's take on this, dismissing it as a pastiche' of other shows and movies, but I think that's off a bit. It's covering a lot of similar ground because it is based on some classic Sci Fi concepts. The main one here revolves around how society, relationships, and religion change when presented with practical immortality for the mind, but not the body. That conversation gets deeper the more episodes you delve into this world, and by the third or forth episode the show really hits its stride.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]