FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Founder

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
The Founder
on Sep 25, 2017 at 5:14:08 pm

The founder is about the "founder" of McDonald's. I knew Ray Kroc founded McDonald's and that is about all I knew about him. This film is about Ray Kroc and the McDonalds brothers and why it is called McDonald's instead of Kroc's. Maybe I found this film so interesting because I didn't know anything about Ray Kroc or the McDonalds brothers. I can't put my finger on it but I really liked the film.

Kind of Spoiler alert.

It was very interesting to experience a film where you are cheering for the main character and hoping he finally gets a break. The film twists and turns and then all of the sudden you hate the main character by the end. I'm trying to think of other films where that happens. It sort of happened in Social Network but I thought the main character wasn't that likable even at the start of the film. It is like a reverse character arch.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: The Founder
on Oct 2, 2017 at 3:54:58 pm

I agree with you that Ray Kroc became a wildly wealthy person by being a not entirely honest person. If the movie is to be believed, that is.
I watched The Founder a few weeks ago and found it interesting to learn about the history of McDonald's, and the real estate spin on franchises.

Having worked briefly at McDs during college Summer break one year, I could offer some unpleasant anecdotes regarding the cleanliness and freshness of food, but I'm sure these were limited to the particular branch where I worked. Use your imagination - it probably won't come close to reality!

That being said, a few times a year I treat myself to an Egg McMuffin at my local airport, mainly because at 6:30am it is the only option for a hot breakfast at the airport. Their coffee is also not bad. The shake machine is always broken!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Founder
on Oct 3, 2017 at 7:59:26 pm

For those Midwesterners of a certain age, your early teen money-making and character-building opportunities were: walking beans and de-tasseling corn, if you live out in the hinterlands.... or, working McD's if you were a city kid.

I worked the fries and the counter. Bought my first downhill skiing equipment with the loot, and blew the rest on gas money and lift tickets to Villa Olympia every free weekend and week night.

Somewhere I still have an Evitone Sound Sheet recording of Ray addressing his troops worldwide, filling us in on the new ad campaigns for radio, as well as making a few points on how to do our jobs the Kroc way. Every employee got one of those for a while. To me, it was fascinating to hear the same radio spot with different music cues and different voice actors, customized to different radio markets, from pop to country to Urban Contemporary ( yes, it sounded like the soundtrack to a blaxploitation movie). It was one of the things that got me interested in advertising.

Ray's wife left a huge bequest to NPR for funding ongoing news operations and she should be thanked every time you eat a Mc-Something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]