FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spiderman Homecoming

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Spiderman Homecoming
on Jul 10, 2017 at 8:09:35 pm

The best since, and perhaps in some ways, better than Raimi/ MGuire's first one.

Smoothly and seamlessly updated in subtle ways, I was impressed by the well-developed villain, miles away from the corny second-tier origins in the comics and 60's animation. Michael Keaton OWNED this role and very nearly upstages the lead. In a break from tradition, loner Peter Parker gets a best friend to help the audience get a window into his thoughts and feelings.

There's terrific ensemble chemistry, and a lot of "easter eggs" and little nuggets here and there for the deep comic nerd to detect and ponder. But thank God it's not another rebooted origin story. This one is set in a period after Avengers; Civil War, and smoothly branches off of the end of that film to be it's own thing.

Robert Downey Junior has maybe eight minutes in this but rocks every second as Tony Stark. I don't think anybody is going to be able to take over that role when Robert's done, not for a decade, at least.

I really wasn't expecting the mid-movie plot twist, and it was awesome, if transparent in hindsight.

This movie's 3-d version is converted from a 2-d master; I saw it "flat" and liked it fine, not sure it needed 3-d.

Be patient! Stay for the very end of the credits for a hysterical message .

Go see this one; it's really, REALLY good.

Return to posts index

Mariebelle Miguello
Re: Spiderman Homecoming
on Jul 17, 2017 at 9:00:39 am

I still haven't seen the movie but I agree 100% on that part about RDJ.

Mariebelle Miguello

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 30, 2017 at 5:23:39 pm

Fun film. I swear Tim said he would like to see a Spider Man film with a high school aged kid in high school. If he did then maybe some big shot movie executives read this forum.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 17, 2017 at 1:13:19 am

[Stephen Smith] "I swear Tim said he would like to see a Spider Man film with a high school aged kid in high school. If he did then maybe some big shot movie executives read this forum."

I did say that, but I can't take too much credit -- the Spidey in the comics was a high school sophomore. The problem with both Tobey Maguire and even moreso Andrew Garfield is that they stopped looking like 16 year olds when they were 12. They were both easily 10 years too old by the time of their FIRST appearances, and the sequels were even more ridiculous.

I finally got around to seeing this last week, and I LOVE it! It's the first Spider-man movie to be any fun at all, and one of the few Marvel movies to accomplish this feat.

In fairness, not every comic book movie is aiming for "fun", nor should it. Comics are painted with a palette as emotionally broad as any other medium. But I think that many of the ones that producers think are fun are nowhere near the mark. Leaden, ponderous, humorless -- or merely "quippy" -- this one got just about everything right...

...except it was STILL 20 MINUTES TOO LONG. Maybe even 30 minutes too long. Two hours and 13 minutes is redonkulous. This wasn't Captain America: Civil War, some epic repositioning of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. It should have been closer to 100 minutes.

But Tom Holland was beyond perfect! It's okay that he's actually 21, because he LOOKS 16. (I'll give Andrew Garfield this: at 27 he did a fantastic job not looking like he's 33. Barely looked a day over 30. Terrific actor, horribly, horribly miscast.)

More important, he moves like a fidgety kid. Many props to his background as a stage actor and dancer -- his "Billy Elliot: The Musical" performance is rightly legendary. In fact, he trained as a dancer (as a 10 year old!) BEFORE he trained as an actor, and this pays off in a huge way. He bounces around constantly, EXACTLY like he's been bitten by a radioactive spider, like he wants nothing more than to burst into wild motion, swinging down the skyscraper canyons of the city.

Maguire and Garfield did okay doing voice work over some swinging CG and green screen stunt work, but when they were out of uniform, so to speak, there was no sense of suppressed motion. They didn't look like they actually wanted to be Spider-Man, whereas Holland's Peter Parker desperately wants it. Not as a science experiment, or solely to be a hero, but because he loves the movement.

This to me is an all-time breakthrough performance in a comics role. I put it up there with Christopher Reeve as Superman, Michael Keaton as Batman (DO NOT mention Christian Bale to me -- barely a notch above George Clooney imo, although I like 'em both fine elsewhere), Heath Ledger as The Joker, Tom Hiddleston's Loki, and a teeny tiny handful of others that 100% stick the landing.

Spider-Man: Homecoming also does the best job building a believable universe of a comics movie in ages. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything since Superman (although Gene Hackman and Ned Beatty, giants both, were seriously underconceived to say the least), but I've gotta tell ya, Black Panther looks off the chain -- best world-building I've seen in a set of trailers maybe ever. In the meantime, terrific supporting cast of young players, and I'm entirely okay with Marissa Tomei in anything, including this. She's 53, which is PLENTY old enough to be the aunt of a 16 year old. I think she also serves notice that we're shaving a decade or two off EVERYONE here.

(For that matter, Sally Field from the Andrew Garfield Spideys looks 10 years younger than her age anyway, and a MUCH younger look than Rosemary Harris at Aunt May in 2002, very much the white haired little old lady from the comics. Marissa is simply a next natural step in the very right direction. Age looks different now than it did in the 50s and 60s when we were getting to know Spidey. In fact, I'd say that the distance between Andrew and Sally LOOKS only slightly larger than the gap between Tom and Marissa.)

Anyway, this was worth the wait, to say the least, even if it wasn't quiiiiite worth the length of the picture. But not a dang thing wrong with this approach to Spidey that a razor blade couldn't fix.

Hey, another word about Tom Holland as a dancer -- do you know Lip Sync Battle? It's one of those shows I don't actually watch, but I love seeing some clips of now and again. It is what the name suggests: two teams of stars plus dancers lip sync some large-scale production numbers in competition with each other. It's harmless fun, which is harder and harder to come by these days.

In this clip, Zendaya (who plays the FANTASTIC sardonic Daria-styled Greek chorus role in the Spidey Homecoming picture, named Michelle, throwing shade on every silly thing that Peter and Ned are up to -- she's one of the gems of the movie, and is featured in that wonderful scene at the Washington Monument too) is pretty sure she has the game locked up with Bruno Mars' "24K Magic", but Tom swings back with "Singing In The Rain" and a quick-change to Rihanna's "Umbrella" that's so mind-boggling that even Zendaya's jaw drops. She has to fall to the floor laughing, and host LL Cool J is beside himself.

An absolute dancing tour de force, as well as a cheeky performance by our boy that also shows off his sheer physical strength. Highly, highly recommended use of 4 minutes of your time, but if you have to sneak ahead, Tom takes the stage at about 1:40:

Anyway, other than the mind-boggling length and the dragging of the story that went with it, I adored this. I want more like this please, AND SHORTER.

(Although, again, from the 3 trailers I've seen so far, a three-hour Black Panther will be fine by me. Just don't waste it all on climactic battle that goes on for half an hour. Those ALL need to be shorter, no matter how long or short the rest of the movie is.)

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 17, 2017 at 9:04:00 pm

I agree, Tim! Every Marvel movie should be under 2 hours! There's something in almost all of them that I would cut out. Except maybe Guardians of the Galaxy 1. That's gotta still be my favorite Marvel movie. But Spider-Man Homecoming was my favorite Marvel movie *this* year (slightly better than GOTG2, I thought). I look forward to watching it a second time, sometime.

...But I am wondering if Thor Ragnarok will ultimately be the best (Marvel) movie of the year...? The last time someone trusted a New Zealander with a huge movie franchise (Lord of the Rings), it worked out pretty well!

[Tim Wilson] "DO NOT mention Christian Bale to me -- barely a notch above George Clooney imo, although I like 'em both fine elsewhere"

Haha, I agree with this as well.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 17, 2017 at 9:18:32 pm

Spiderman Homecoming is worth it for: "Guy In CHAIR!" alone. That, and the more awkward than usual 'Homecoming date meets the girl's dad" sequence.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 18, 2017 at 5:05:44 am

[Scott Roberts] "...But I am wondering if Thor Ragnarok will ultimately be the best (Marvel) movie of the year...?"

I actually think that's possible....but I just checked the running time, and it's 130 minutes! That's crazy! The first Thor was better than Dark World imo, and was completely out of gas well before its 110 minutes were up. (Dark World was only 112, but felt MUCH longer.) The first Thor at 100 minutes would have been right on the money, especially if they'd carved most of the 10 minutes from that tedious final fight.

The thing that the MCU version of Thor has going for him is Hemsworth is really nailing the "not very good at his job" aspect of Thor. It's like Thor got the job for his looks and his family connections. He's not a bad guy, and his heart is mostly in the right place once he starts to grow up, but he's still kind of a boob. His somewhat hapless earnestness plays nicely off the hyper-conscientious angst of Ruffalo's take on Bruce Banner.

So I'm balancing my high hopes on their established chemistry and the comic energy in the trailers (and you should see the commercials on Freeform, which I've been watching an inordinate amount of these days -- Harry Potter and Twilight movies out the wazoo for me right now; don't judge me, I'm under a lot of stress...my point being that they're really amping up the humor in the spots running on this channel for tweens) vs. my diminished expectations based on the running time.

I swear to Odin, if I was Kevin Feig, I'd say everybody gets 100 minutes, the Captain America and Avengers movies get 120 (*I* think that's still too much, but me as Kevin Feig would have to admit that these pictures have earned some leeway). I'd give you a couple minutes leeway, but I'd also heavily incentivize storytelling discipline. Everything would be on the table, including creative control and shooting budget. This isn't about cutting costs, it's about demanding that filmmakers show more respect to audiences.

Like THAT's ever gonna happen. 😂

I'm also going to going to observe that if Black Panther was coming in 2017, that's the one I'd be putting my money on. I don't need that one to be giddy fun the way that Spider-Man NEEDS to be (and finally IS), because Black Panther is telling a completely different kind of story. But I'm flabbergasted

[Scott Roberts] " (slightly better than GOTG2, I thought)"

That movie was a huge letdown to me. I still liked it, and unlike almost anyone anywhere, I'm nuts about Baby Groot, but OH EM GEEE too long! 136 minutes?!? They could have cut ALLLL of Kurt Russell's explanation in front of the dioramas. Who cares. We all got the gist in the first paragraph. A god-planet something, out to preserve himself at the expense of everyone else? Sold. Back to the action.

My favorite line of the year, btw: "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Incidentally, one of the great pleasures of my movie-going life was seeing Kurt Russell do a Q&A after a showing of Escape From New York at a sci-fi festival a few years ago. NINETY NINE minutes long, that thing. And even the extended version was only 106 minutes!

And do let me note for the record that I VASTLY preferred EVERYTHING about the Extended Lord of the Rings movies. Hell, I preferred the extended Hobbit movies! If you really really REALLY have something to show me, keep going. If you're in the final reel and just busting stuff up, spare me. Villain backstory? Less, please.

Overall, the average grade at IMDb (7.8) is about where it landed for me. It's certainly a measure of how badly they bungled that I wanted less Kurt. I'm of the age that he was the first movie star who I was determined to see every picture on opening day. The Barefoot Executive, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, et al -- he was THE MAN for me.

The other goofy thing about that movie -- I found myself missing Peter. I love how they expanded Dave Bautista's character, but I really wanted more Chris Pratt.

Anyhoo....yes, I get the irony of ME telling anybody that they're taking too much time to tell any story, when I take too long to tell....anything. LOL

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 18, 2017 at 1:47:05 pm

Ha Ha:

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]