FORUMS: list search recent posts

Netflix: Three Percent is "Tudo Bom"

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Netflix: Three Percent is "Tudo Bom"
on Jun 20, 2017 at 9:49:10 pm

3% is the title of a Brazilian-made Sci-fi show I found on Netflix yesterday. It's dubbed into English. I liked it; it was structured in a very book-like manner. Some of the plot, you may consider pretty standard. I was reminded, here and there, of the first season of "Earth: Final Conflict", crossed with Hunger Games, but there's no aliens in this show.

The bullet: In a futuristic dystopian world, there exists a distant, isolated utopian island community, called "The offshore", kind of like "Elysium", but at sea, not in orbit. Only 35 of the continental population make it thru the application process to emigrate to The Offshore, who only take the "people of most merit". We watch a group of applicants (representative of the show's viewer demographic, I'm sure) and one main protagonist, as they compete to get in. There's a catch: one of the applicants is a terrorist infiltrator, bent on destroying The Offshore.

Shot on what must be a very tight budget, nevertheless, they make clever use of locations, props, and a light touch of F/X to portray the futuristic world. It's a pretty obvious allegory of Brazilian society and politics, and that's not really a bad thing. Tudo Bom!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]