FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alien Coversthesameground

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Alien Coversthesameground
on May 20, 2017 at 12:02:45 am

A much more coherent plot line than Prometheus, this basically incorporates the movie you WANTED to see - Shaw and David fro Prometheus go to the alien Geneer's Homeworld to ask WTF... -into another basic re-teling of the first Alien Movie. Ridley Scott at this point is a cannibal, feasting on himself.

The main plot twists are hardly surprising g to anybody that's watched any of the previous movies in the series. I was surprised at how much Danny McBride you get for your movie dollar in this one. Apparently Danny owns some pretty good blackmail pictures of Scott.

Art direction is brilliant as usual. There is a lot of effort put into the soundscape but I thought it was over-done and obvious.

And one again, a script is written where the characters make stupid decisions and take foolish risks out of line with their basic nature, just to move the story along.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Alien Coversthesameground
on May 20, 2017 at 11:44:01 am

very succinct review. I'm curious, did you think the characters in the first alien made dumb choices?

he says he's making two more cause you saw it!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 20, 2017 at 2:23:47 pm

Well, in the first one, it was dumb to split up into too-small teams. To be fair, Ash the android was working against them. If that sounds familiar, you've seen the new movie.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on May 31, 2017 at 8:33:57 pm

Agree both that it's gorgeous and that there's no real surprises to be had. More coherent than Prometheus but suffers from the same issue of raising more questions than it answers (which didn't need answering to begin with) and not meshing properly with what came before. At least the characters weren't quite as rock-stupid as the ones in Prometheus.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 6, 2017 at 10:33:59 pm

I watched the original Alien the night after seeing Covenant, because I hadn't seen it in years, and I found it almost comical how many direct, specific things he just ganked right out of the 1979 film for Covenant.  Either Ridley Scott was super homaging the first one, many times, or he's become senile and thought all his old ideas were new?  The first hour of both movies are essentially the exact same thing.  Covenant eventually takes a Prometheus lean, but yeah, definitely a pretty staggering amount of self stealing going on here.

There were also some interesting casting choices in this; like dramatic Danny McBride, an iPad cameo from James Franco, and Katherine Waterston's bad 1992 bowl haircut.  What look was she going for, Mark from Home Improvement?  

...Despite any negative criticism I could give the movie, I actually found it pretty entertaining, and more so than Prometheus. Solid "B", in my opinion.

We should all also take a moment to acknowledge how far special effects technology has come, because I was able to witness a completely believable moment where two robot Michael Fassbenders kiss each other on the mouth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]